96 XP SBN Needle and Seat

Hi everyone,

I need to work on the carbs on a 96 XP. I have a leaking needle and seat in the one of the carbs. When the ski sits for a while, the one carb leaks and fills the cylinder with gas. I rebuilt the carbs last fall and it ran well, but now I am pretty sure the needle and seat are leaking. Long story short, What is the best way to get the seat out of the carb. Also, does any have recommendations for removing a corroded adjuster needle from the carb body. Is there a spray that will work?

Thanks in advance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    needle nose pliars...

I have had a seat stuck so badly i had to take it out in pieces. Took me about 3 hours to get it all out without doing any damage to the carb body. Not fun. If its stuck, spray it with some penetrating oil and let is soak.

Thanks for the ideas. I will pull the carb off the ski in a week or so and take a stab at changing it. I'm hoping it will come out easily, but with the luck I've had in the past with this ski, it will fight me. Thanks again though.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    is this a salt water ski?

Didn't you replace the N/S when you rebuilt the carbs last year? If not what exactly did you replace during ther rebuild? Just the gaskets and diaphrams?

This ski has had several owners and I wouldn't be surprised if it had been in salt water before we got it and not properly flushed and maintained. Now we just run it on the northern Chesapeake. I just did gaskets and diaphragms when I worked on them last fall. They had not leaked before that, and they were fine with pop off pressure. The reason I did that was that we were having erratic running. And it seemed fuel related, like it was running lean. So i did the gaskets and diaphragms, but when that was finished, it still ran weird and it turned out to be the regulator for the charging system. I was able to determine that it was bring the voltage above 15 volts and would them mis and act lean. So a new regulator solved the problem, but now I have a carb that is leaking gas, filling the cylinder, and effectively hydro-locking it from so much gas in the case/cylinder.

Thread Information