STX1100 Starting Problem

I recently bought a stx1100, and it wont start for crap. IF I take the plugs out and spray engine fogger into the cylinders, it will fire right up, and it will fire up every time after-wards, unless you let the motor get cold again. Any idea's as to what is going on?

what year STX? Pre98 Stxs have different Carb Setup that if a primer is installed you can remove the chokes & their linkages. If you have a 98-99(they went direct injection in 2000)...then you have CV carbs & your should leave the chokes in & install the squirters in the barrels atop the carbs or even on top of the cover of the intakes spraying directly down into the barrels. Bottom line....a Primer kit is the anwser.

Its a 1998, what should I do buy a primer kit, and Dirll a 3 holes on top of the airbox, so it shoots down into the carbs?

Hey pevo, I have a 1997 stx, I need a cdi box for it, I found one but it comes off of a 1997 zxi, the guy ask for the ignitor number, and said this would match up. Any advice.
    Thanks Ryan

If the box in question comes from a same CC engine..ie...900 or 1100 then it will work. Just check to see if your getting any extra electronics with the other box(it may have auto trim electronics in it too)...i think...hmmm...or maybe someone with more knowledge on this will chime it & correct me if i'm wrong. Also you need to make sure your stator harness is the same too.

Quote Originally Posted by PEVO View Post
    what year STX? Pre98 Stxs have different Carb Setup that if a primer is installed you can remove the chokes & their linkages. If you have a 98-99(they went direct injection in 2000)...then you have CV carbs & your should leave the chokes in & install the squirters in the barrels atop the carbs or even on top of the cover of the intakes spraying directly down into the barrels. Bottom line....a Primer kit is the anwser.
    OK i just got through installing a primer kit on my 1100STX w/CV carbs. I bought the single primer kit for $20 shipped off ebay. I then ordered some extra fittings (for R/C airplane engines) from Tower hobbies. All this was ordered X2 because i still have a STX900 to put a kit on too. All toll for both cost was $58(i'm a tight wad & didn't want to spend the extra for 2-3 carbs kits vs. buying your stuff individually).

I fashioned a backet from some scrap i had in the junk pile so i could install the primer pump on the engine & not in the dash (so i could still use the chokes). I then used some thru hull fuel fittings (they come in the fuel tee kits for Tower Hobbies) & drilled a small hole in the side of each vinyl/rubber carb barrel. These fitting have a barb on them that allow you to press fit the hull fitting into the side of each barrel with no fear of them coming loose. I mounted the pump on the flame arrestor & tapped into the incoming fuel line. My 1100 hadn't been started in 2 weeks,...3 pumps & she fired rightaway. Monies well spent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07747.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	127604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07748.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	127605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07750.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	127606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07751.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	127607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07752.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	127608  

I have a 1999 STX 1100 and just installed the primer kit... Why should I have left the chokes in?

Quote Originally Posted by PEVO View Post

The 98-99 had the cv carbs if you take out the choke plates then it messes with the vacume signal the diaphram uses to give you more fuel. Baisicly it could cause you to go lean and go boom.

So now what do I do?? Should I remove the kit and reinstall the chokes and do the mods shown in this thread?

Another reason to leave the chokes in? Help kill the engine in case of a run-a-way.

Thread Information