Blower bearings-time in service

hi everyone,

I'm thinking about a rebuild for a 2004 RXP blower. The machine was acquired last spring and ran flawlessly all summer 2008-still does. So after reading about all the units that have had failed clutches I'm ordering the 2004 spec steel washers before the season starts. It's no big deal for me to change the washers and inspect all the clutch components. The machine is stock and driven hard enough but not what I'd call beaten to death.

The machine has about 120 hours TSN which isn't a lot in my mind. Figure an average speed of 50 mpg equates to ruffly 6000 miles traveled. When you stop to think about it that's not alot of use. I'm thinking if the bearings are glass smooth and slop free upon blower removal what would be the point of changing the bearings. If the races are smooth and unpited showing no slop, where would bearing wear be other than maybe at the retainer cage. Obviously I got a good one for the clutch to last this long and it still hits 70mph and change-indicated.

I realise that some guys are motivated by income through rebuilding services so they will likely have their own ideas, and you have individuals that say buy the rebuild service, using strictly information they have been fed-maybe a few nutswingers -What I'm intersested in is stock steel bearing failures unrelated to a clutch situation. I see people throwing around 100 hour time in service for a bearing change but right now I'm not fully convinved for a couple of reasons. Turbo chargers run hot in the bearing area as the run off of hot exhaust gasses and they last way longer than 100 hours. The run as fast or faster than 40 grand.

Turbine engine compressors run about the same rpm in helicopters which is an inherent high vibration enviorment as much high pressure ratios (120psi exit pressure and hot from so much compression-10X what the seadoo sees).

I likely appear blunt and don't intend to insult anyone-just a cut to the chase if you can appreciate that and being honest about what is going through my mind. Thanks for any historical data from those people successfully handling and inspecting their own blowers.

RT

+1
    About the only thing I can think of that contributes to bearing wear on these jetski's is their riding environment. They get beat to hell in the chop. Think of the side loads put on the sc shaft every time it hits a wave or lands off a jump. I have seen some pics of bearing failures on here and it's very destructive to the sc and the engine. Cost wise, it's worth it to get new bearings and clutch washers every 100 hours just for peace of mind. Plus, if you break down in your car, you just have to walk. If you break down 2 miles from shore in the ocean and the tides going out..................

+1
    The problem I see is there is no way to inspect the bearings without removing them and there is no way to remove them without pushing on the balls. Once you press a bearing by its balls they are toast..

+1
    Once you press a bearing by its balls they are toast..
    Actually, I am too.

Thanks...fricken 100 hour POS blower. I've ordered a full rebuild kit to 2008 specs. You'd think that the 100 hour full SC overhaul would be in the scheduled maintenance chart, it's actually on the BRP rebuild kit.

RT

Thread Information