Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riva top loader vs R&D RXT-X

Has any one used the riva top loader for there RXT-X other than the R&D or worx? Plus i wanted to know if its worth filling in the ride plates holes on a stock RXT-X, Dont want to use anything i cant get out, If i need to remove the ride plate i want to do so. what can u use? Right now its at 68.8 top speed using a gps. Hoping a top loader would bring 70.0 or better, Without cavitation.

+1
    Sloepp did a back to back test on all three of these grates and a modded stock grate. It was a very informative piece. I'm sure he'll be along to add his opinion soon. The modded stocker was the fastest if I remember correctly with the riva #2, the worx #3, and the R&D #4. But the worx was his favorite by far with much better hookup in chop and what he described as a great ride and good response to trim changes. It ran .7mph faster then the R&D I think. I run the R&D and it's a good grate but it does cavitate slightly during the holeshot. The modded stocker had the wings cut off and the center scoop trimmed. Yes, it's worth filling in the ride plate holes if speed is your goal. I used the JB Weld epoxy putty stick and so far it's working good for me. There's a thread in the "how to" section on procedure.

If you use jbweld can you get that out if you need to remove the ride plate for any reason?

A little heat, a hammer & small chisel/screw driver and the plugs come right out. How many times do you think that you are going to remove the rideplate?... Ron

+1
    Yes. You put a loop of cord around the bolt head and cover that with duct tape (or in my case I just cut circles out of thick paper plates) and fill in the hole with the putty and after it cures, sand it flush. Note! Do not get overzealous with the putty cause it's a bitch sanding it if you do.They say you can remove the plug by putting the edge of a chisel in the middle of it and smacking it a good one with a hammer. Haven't tried it yet but I hear it works pretty good. Some people have even complained that they fall out within 20-30 hours of riding so you might roughen up the holes a little with sand paper first.

P.S. I think it's a requirement of membership on greenhulk to have your ride plate holes filled.

Just wanted to be sure i could remove it if needed, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    Seagoat was correct in his results stated on my test.

I ride my skis all year. In the winter, i like the riva grate as it works awesome in good water. Best gas milage and is one of the fastest top end.
    I dont care for the riva in the summer as i dont like my skis coming unhooked.
    I ran the stock moded grate last year and it works very well in rough water and is the fastest grate.

The worx outperforms all the grates in hookup in rough water. It does seem to comsume more gas then the others but no where near as the stock X grate does in stock form.

I have the worx on the ski now and plan to continue to run it threw the summer.

THe only grate i experienced any cavitation was with the R and D.
    The R and D does have alot beter hookup over the riva.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Finger View Post
    If you use jbweld can you get that out if you need to remove the ride plate...
    Tricky... if you ever need to remove the ride plate, the least of your worries will be a little JB Weld in your holes. Fill 'em, blend 'em, enjoy the free speed... If you end up needing to replace the plate, the hole plugs will be the easy part!...

I'm going to try the riva, just picked up one on ebay for 129.00 I want to check the speed with just the top loader first to see what kind of speed from stock, Then I'll try filling the holes on the ride plate, i want to see if i gain any with my gps. I did read about the riva's top loader breaking, does anyone know anything on this issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Finger View Post
    I'm going to try the riva, just picked up one on ebay for 129.00 I want to check the speed with just the top loader first to see what kind of speed from stock, Then I'll try filling the holes on the ride plate, i want to see if i gain any with my gps. I did read about the riva's top loader breaking, does anyone know anything on this issue.
    just be sure that the grates are not in a bind when installing. that meaning that the bolt holes line up perfect and that the bolts are not putting side pressure on grate. if there not lined up perfect, then rim out the holes on grate until they do line up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information