Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R&D ride plate install question

Ok guys, I have a few questions and some data from todays results.
    1. I have installed the Jim's modified R&D ride plate and now my speedo only works until the speed reaches 32 mph then drops down and bounces between 2 and 6 MPH. Has anyone else seen this?
    2. How have you guys been shimming the plate, I mean only spacers in the back or both front and back? I have two in each of the back two bolts only and am still seeing some slight buck.
    3. Today I am only seeing 6.5 PSI of boost at WOT on my guage, this seems low. What are you guys seeing with the stock wheel, intake modification, free flow filter & free flow exhaust.

Now the results from todays run:
    1. full fuel 3/4 trim sitting up on seat GPS 70.2 MPH
    2 full fuel 3/4 trim rear seat and storage bucket removed GPS 71.0 MPH
    3 full fuel 3/4 trim rear seat, storage bucket, hood & panel in front storage area removed GPS 71.0 MPH
    note: when the fuel dropped to 3/4 the top speed did not change.

So I think that it is mostly important for us to vent more at the rear of the craft however I have removed the foam behind the cowl panels on the front.
    The weather was 73F with 54% humidity and 58 deg water temp.

I'm wondering why we havn't seen a rear air intake like they have for the RXP? There must be a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I'm wondering why we havn't seen a rear air intake like they have for the RXP? There must be a way to do it.
    I cant imagine running all that piping all the way to the back for just some cool air. Your better off using your ventalation tubes in the front for cool air.

+1
    Lot's of people have had an issue with the speedo. I've been seeing ~7.3psi in mid 70's to mid 80's air with mod humidity...it's dropped a lot(almost 1psi) compared to the cooler weather...mods in sig, FF in mail. Wow, that was a big difference in speed with the extra air. Some ideas for ventilation:
    Rip's http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...highlight=blow

Mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	121792  

+1
    Shit where do I start...

[quote=superair;990792]Ok guys, I have a few questions and some data from todays results.
    1. I have installed the Jim's modified R&D ride plate and now my speedo only works until the speed reaches 32 mph then drops down and bounces between 2 and 6 MPH. Has anyone else seen this? Yes, the speedo is 2-5 mph off stock, and had same results with modded plate. Use your GPS.
    2. How have you guys been shimming the plate, I mean only spacers in the back or both front and back? I have two in each of the back two bolts only and am still seeing some slight buck. When I first bolted his plate on I gained 3.2 mph, and bucked violantly. Called Jim and said we need to shim it. I shimmed the front to be flush with the shoe and I have 3 shims in the back. That being said, this set up work for my blue SHO. That ski was wrecked and I now have a black SHO and did the same set up and I now have a mild buck which I think is being caused by the rev limiter cutting my RPM's and overstuffing the pump. I had my prop re-pitched and hopefully the overstuff will go away.
    3. Today I am only seeing 6.5 PSI of boost at WOT on my guage, this seems low. What are you guys seeing with the stock wheel, intake modification, free flow filter & free flow exhaust. Last weekend I was boosting 7.3 with same mods.

Now the results from todays run:
    1. full fuel 3/4 trim sitting up on seat GPS 70.2 MPH
    2 full fuel 3/4 trim rear seat and storage bucket removed GPS 71.0 MPH
    3 full fuel 3/4 trim rear seat, storage bucket, hood & panel in front storage area removed GPS 71.0 MPH
    note: when the fuel dropped to 3/4 the top speed did not change.

So I think that it is mostly important for us to vent more at the rear of the craft however I have removed the foam behind the cowl panels on the front.
    The weather was 73F with 54% humidity and 58 deg water temp.Not a big suprise with last couple of sentences. [/quote]

Hope this helps. PM me your phone number if you want to discuss more.

+1
    OK SHODUDE, I will try that on shimming the ride plate. I still can't figure out why the speedo does not work now. I know that it has always been off but now showing 4 MPh when I am going 43 MPH. I am using a GPS but only holding it with a wrist strap on. If the speedo is not going to work correctly I guess I will mount the GPS on the craft.

Matt
    (superair)

+1
    GPS is the way to go...on my GPR with Jim's plate the speedo reads fairly accurate at lower speed, but at 80+ it shows anywhere between 15-85.

+1
    Ok, but why even have the speedo adapter if it is not going to work atleast as accurate as it did factory. I remember the GP guys along time ago filling the speedo mounting hole on the ride plate. If this helps then it seems that we would want to remove the cutout for the pickup if it is not going to work anyway. Or is this issue just with the modifications Jim has made?
    Also I forgot in my original post that I am seeing boost only after 5500 RPM's. Atleast with the factory tach. Is this the same RPM you guys are starting to see boost?

Matt
    (superair)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    Ok, but why even have the speedo adapter if it is not going to work atleast as accurate as it did factory. I remember the GP guys along time ago filling the speedo mounting hole on the ride plate. If this helps then it seems that we would want to remove the cutout for the pickup if it is not going to work anyway. Or is this issue just with the modifications Jim has made?
    Also I forgot in my original post that I am seeing boost only after 5500 RPM's. Atleast with the factory tach. Is this the same RPM you guys are starting to see boost?

Matt
    (superair)
    Believe me, I have wanted to cut the damn speedo sender off as there is no point in having it on. I also shim mine up so it is flush with the ride plate -- that job is not hard, but a pain.

When you do speed runs, you can throw your GPS into the glove box and it should still work fine.

I start boosting around 6000 RPM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Charger is at the very front of the ski. There would be lots of tubing with some crazy twist/angles to get it all the way to the back of that ski. Assuming it would even be possible with decent diameter tubing and getting by the midwall/electrical box.

A ram air hood would be nice though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information