carb tweaking question

I have a 700 raider and rebuilt the carbs. I reset the LS and HS settings to the defaults per the manual. (its a stock ski).

I took it out and ran it. I adjusted slightly to get the idle smooth.

My question is this, after it idles for a few minutes the RPM's go down and it will start to die. I can rev the throttle and it comes back up and runs for a few minutes more then RPM's decline again. If I turn off and wait a few minutes and restart, I have to hold the throttle open to get to restart.

Do I need to lower the LS adjustment and lean it out, or raise the idle adjustment screw slightly to lean? And how much?

I am guessing its the LS adjustment. Someone also said to me to only adjust one of the LS screws and not the other to get an even better result. If this is so which one?

+1
    I would try adjusting the idle screw first. If it is dying at idle, it may need to be richened, but start with the idle first.

EDIT... I just reread your post. If you have to apply throttle after it has only sat a few minutes, you are a tad lean on your LS adjustment. Your on the right track.

I am assuming you have a dual carb 701 Raider. If so I would adjust both carbs 1/8" of a turn out. I would not do just one.

I think your low screws need opened a little also .
    anytime I get into carbs I check the hi low turns of the existing settings just so I can return them to the same place assuming the ski was running fine in the first place

+1
    Unless it's so rich that it's loading up and flooding the engine....then you will need to turn the needles in, adjust pop off pressure and or replace leaking Needles/Seats.

While on your trailer....remove your F/A and watch for dribbles....if you notice you see them while at idle.....your pop off pressure is to low and or the needles are leaking. Check that also!

m

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Unless it's so rich that it's loading up and flooding the engine....then you will need to turn the needles in, adjust pop off pressure and or replace leaking Needles/Seats.

While on your trailer....remove your F/A and watch for dribbles....if you notice you see them while at idle.....your pop off pressure is to low and or the needles are leaking. Check that also!

m
    +1

Thanks. No leaking needles, and the pop off I think is fine. I will try a 1/8 turn down and see if that helps and if not will do a 1/4 up and richen. (1/8 above starting).

If I turn down and lean what symptoms should I look for that will worsen? Meaning what will happen worse, poor idle and stall or what?

If I turn up and richen what should I look for if its too much?

Thread Information