1996 Seadoo Dess Key swap?

hey all, i just purchased a 96 Xp with the 800 engine. I am trying to learn more about this thing, so bare with me. i noticed it has a "dess key" ( the round one that has the metal inside that is coded i believe) and i only have one. i was told these ignitions sometimes go out so my question is can it be converted to the ignition that is on the 95? the one with the same type key, just no metal or coding. if so, please be specific. thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    no it cant...why would you want to go to the 95 version anyway? a new dess post is cheap and easy to replace.

i believe it can be switched over if you have an enhancer right?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rhino_160 View Post
    hey all, i just purchased a 96 Xp with the 800 engine. I am trying to learn more about this thing, so bare with me. i noticed it has a "dess key" ( the round one that has the metal inside that is coded i believe) and i only have one. i was told these ignitions sometimes go out so my question is can it be converted to the ignition that is on the 95? the one with the same type key, just no metal or coding. if so, please be specific. thanks
    If you have a deep wallet ,enhanced electrical skills and lots of parts anything can be done but why,They work really well,and with a little care last a long time.If the mpem wasnt encased in epoxy it would be much easier.I say fix it and keep it like the factory built it.It has saved me buying a customer a ski when it was stolen from my shop.They thought they could rip off plastic and touch the 2 wires together to get it to run.hahajha!I have since learned to like the darn things!!JMHO>Marvin

Thread Information