Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drive shaft problem---all the way from Iraq

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to come back from Iraq in May and right before I left I had a problem with my 2001 Pro 1200 and was hoping I could get some advise so when I get back I can get it fixed as soon as possible. Here is the problem:

It was running one day and the next day I took it out as soon as I started it there was a whining type noise that got louder as you gave it more throttle. Also, there wasn't much thrust being produced, at half throttle it bearely moved.

I took it home and looked at the drive shaft, I didn't see any visible problem. I then hooked it up to the hose and ran it. It ran fine, the impeller turned normally and there was no sound. I took it out the next day and the exact same thing happened.

I left right after that so didn't get to do a lot of troubleshooting. Any suggestion would be greatly appeciated. I get 2 weeks off when I get back and I want to spend as much of it as I can on the water. Thanks everyone!

Whining..

It sounds like your pump bearings & impeller might need replacing, and your impeller splines might be damaged also..

The "whining" is usually caused by bad jet-pump bearings, and if the impellor or drive coupler splines are damaged that would explain why it will spin but not produce any power under load.. Look carefully at the driveshaft splines again, and check for sharp edges on the splines.. That will usually point you in the right direction..

Thanks for serving our country!

Randy

+1
    Is there any water left in GA?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You will need to remove the jet pump to find and fix the problem.

My guess is that the splines on the drive shaft, impeller, or engine drive coupler, have stripped.

If your model has the rubber bonded drive shaft coupler, then it is possible the rubber bonding has failed.

Click here for the Polaris Service Manual.

For photos and more details on removing the jet pump, look at the service manual.

Quick version: After disconnecting the bilge hoses at the pump nozzle, and steering/trim cable end bolts, remove the four LONG bolts that hold the pump nozzle on.

Pull the jet pump body straight back. It often takes some wiggle and effort to get it to come off, and be ready for the sudden release when it does.

You may need to use a 2x4 as a pry against the pump tunnel walls to work the pump left-right. Don't force it too far left or right, just work it off.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    With the NO-GO under load(in the water),my guess you have a rubber coupler that's bad like K447 said.

Also Thanks for Serving. Let us know and I'm sure the guys will jump in and get you on the water ASAP.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

nope

the pro has a solid coupler.check the prop from the intake grate side to see if something impaled itself on the blades.if its the coupler and shaft i've got both and some other nice goodies for the pro

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Thank you for your service to your country!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Thank you jasn.

Mr. Candid had a PRO 1200 that had a driveshaft problem too. He bought a new driveshaft and engine coupler. That got him back on the water.

Like Randy mentioned, look into the pump bearings also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasn111 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to come back from Iraq in May and right before I left I had a problem with my 2001 Pro 1200 and was hoping I could get some advise so when I get back I can get it fixed as soon as possible. Here is the problem:

It was running one day and the next day I took it out as soon as I started it there was a whining type noise that got louder as you gave it more throttle. Also, there wasn't much thrust being produced, at half throttle it bearely moved.

I took it home and looked at the drive shaft, I didn't see any visible problem. I then hooked it up to the hose and ran it. It ran fine, the impeller turned normally and there was no sound. I took it out the next day and the exact same thing happened.

I left right after that so didn't get to do a lot of troubleshooting. Any suggestion would be greatly appeciated. I get 2 weeks off when I get back and I want to spend as much of it as I can on the water. Thanks everyone!
    Thank you for serving this great country of ours!!!!! God Bless and a safe trip back home

I would double check the impeller also i have snagged twigs and lost all thrust and had weird noises towed it home and tore it down just to see creasote burns and no twig it cleared when towed lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information