Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting Problems

I just picket up a 2002 XLT 800 and it is a pain to start cold. I crank and crank until it will finally go, but this has led to a dead battery 2x already. I'm afraid to turn it off in the water, which is a real problem because I want to do some diving off of it and so it will sit for 2hrs drifting with me offshore. After it turns off, it will generally start very quickly, but if it sits for >15mins, back to the same problem, though easier to start than the first of the day.

Heres what I know so far:
    2002 Yamaha XLT800 with 80 hrs still running stock components
    Spark good
    Compression good & equal
    Throttle cable moves & returns normally
    Choke cable moves and returns normally
    No water in water seperator
    Once running no problems, does not cut out at high RPMs, and only wants to die if idle is low, which I recently adjusted to ~1200rpms.

I talked with a friend/mechanic who said to just spray some WD in the intake or pull the throttle a few times to squirt some more fuel into it before cranking. Has anyone had to deal with this problem. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Also I set the PADLOC function the other day and came back to a dead battery the next day. Does that normally drain the battery very much??? I jump started it, rode it for a few hours, and put it the engine wouldn't start and evenually it drained the battery from cranking it over. I'm thinking about installing a full sized marine battery in there or putting dual batteries, but if I can solve the starting issue, then the battery issue is solved (other than the PADLOC draining it which I don't care too much about).
    can anyone help?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    a pic is worth a 1000 words -- so heres my long rant
    for 60 bucks all your problems will go away
    mattman

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    a pic is worth a 1000 words -- so heres my long rant
    for 60 bucks all your problems will go away
    mattman

Thanks for your rant but that is not very helpful.

I already know how do disconnect the battery to keep it from going dead, but that doesn't answer my question on the PADLOC drainage issue. Obviously if i use 2 batteries I will have an isolator and can shut them off/have a spare. I'd like to not have to disconnect the battery however for short stops like drifting, or anchoring.

I also have thought about primer kits, but with TBI is a primer really necessary? Yamaha intended it to start without having to modify it, I just want that to happen. 15min of sitting shouldn't require priming. Also, if I am going to pull the carbs, why shouldn't I just get them tuned and fix the cause of the problem rather than dumping gas through another port to fix the symptom?

Anyone with experience on yamaha PADLOC can you comment its power draw.
    Anyone else have input or ideas?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha intended it to start without
    they intended to a lot of things that missed
    i had an xl760 with the electronic lock thing ( that was easy to get around ) that would just kill the batt in a week so ,i just put the switch in and now i use 1 batt every 4 years..
    lots of people chased the same start problems ,only for yamaha to come out with "updated" choke plates--with smaller holes ,so there was more vacum to pull gas faster on startup...
    sorry about the crappy help
    have fun and good luck
    mattman

+1
    have you tried to squirt a shot of fuel in the carb when you try to start it? if it start right away that mean that you have a fuel problem,it might be your carb that need a tune up or the fuel pump that as a internal leak and when it sit for a while the fuel run back to the tank so you need to prime the pump each time.

yep
    probably carb check valves are stuffed
    full kit through each and you should be all good
    Last edited by bren; 03-19-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: "probably and should" lol I shouldnt be so cocky :)

Brisyl -I'll try the fuel trick and see if thats the problem.

Bren - Not sure I understand what you mean?
    "probably carb check valves are stuffed full kit through each"

These motors are notorious for difficult cold starting. Since it's an 02 it probably is time to rebuiild the carbs if they haven't been done already, that may help some. Otherwise, the trick to starting these motors is to pull the choke all the way, crank over and squeeze the throttle 2-3 times all the way and crank for about 10 seconds at a time. Should start on the second or third crank, if you wait a few seconds between cranking it will be less hard on your battery. Primers are only good to cover up existing problems or fast starting. No good if you were able to start the motor normally with the choke before, and now you can't, a primer is not the solution, the carbs probably need to be rebuilt. I would get a rebuild kit and do the carbs and see if it helps. My ski is an 01 and I just now am getting around to rebuilding the carbs, the last season I had it running was hard starting, hard to keep idling, and a lot of hesitation to get on plane.

+1
    Are you holding the choke up while turning it over ? It doesnt stay up on its own. It is a pita to hold the choke up and hit the throttle whil giving the throttle a pull but it can be done (use your elbow).

I would also rebuild the carbs but while they are off definitly do the primer mod. People dont realize, keep cranking that starter its a lot of wear and tear on it. I have a primer on my 800 and it starts up every time with in a second, no issues!!
    I have never had a problem with the pad lock draining my battery. usually a bad battery is one that cant hold a charge for more than a week of two. I change my batter every other year just as an insurance thing and I ALWAYS use the pad lock and it never killed the battery and its an 01!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information