Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rebuild. Questions?

Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I'm planning to do a top end rebuild and I also may go ahead and rebuild the pump.

Where is the best place to buy the rebuild kits?

Any cheap mods I could do while I'm into this?

Here is a link to the thread on what happened last year. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=72127&page=2

Looking at the WSM kit for $319. Has anyone used it? Is there something better?

The wsm pistons are fine or factory kawi ones. I have used both. I would send the pump over to steve at skiworx for the updated pump seals and a good shim job.

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on getting started as soon as I get all my tax stuff taken care of.

I'll try to take pictures of the step by step and post them.

I started tearing it down today. Got as far as the cylinder heads before I had to quit. Here are some pictures of what they look like. I'm new on working with engines. So anyinput as to good, bad, or ugly are appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	128621

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	128622

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	128623

Dont see anything real ugly in the chambers but looks like there is alot of crud in the cooling passages. I would go ahead and pull the motor out it makes it much easier to work on. There does look to be some erosion on the gasket surface. Do you ride in salt water or did the ski come from salt water? Next question is going to be how the pistons and cylinders look.

Previous owner had it in saltwater at times. I am planning to pull the motor out, just ran out of time last night. Will post some more pictures when I get it out.

Pulled it tonight. Pictures are below. As I suspected, the #1 piston was toast (picture #3). The other 2 didn't look so hot either. I'm really not even sure how the ski was still running. It actually never completely died on me. Digger, take a look at the pictures and let me know if anything else looks bad.

I am planning to pull the pump as well and have it rebuilt. I'm also going to replace all hoses and lines while I've got it out.

I'm thinking about putting in the triple pisser kit as well as the primer kit. I wouldn't need any other mods to do these, correct?

Now I'm just waiting on that tax check so I can buy the top end kit.

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	128854

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	557.7 KB 
ID:	128855

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	128856

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	128857

Hey I got a few pistons that look like that I would say #1 was running lean. Now for why it did it that could be carb problem or an air leak. I would probably go ahed an split the bottom end too. Depending on how many hours you got on it you may want to do the crank seals. How does the cylinder look?

It does look like the rings on 2+3 wernt sealing up too well. The wash looks fine #3 even looks a little rich but thats ok. I dont know if your buget will allow it but if so I would do the level 1 econo kit. That would get your pump, cv carb mod, stinger mod and your stock heads cut which would take care of that erosion. With a wsm top end kit, tripple pisser and the level 1 it would set you back about $1150 if the #2 cylinder doesnt need work. If the cylinder needs work that will run $175-$235 to get it repaired and replated. I just sent off the parts for my 00 to do just that except im getting a different cut on the prop to work with my tripple pipes and a full stealth exhaust mod. My 04 is going to get the stealth pipe later this season. The 00 will be a level 1 econo kit.

Ski has just over 100 hours on it. I thought the cylinders looked OK, but I'm no expert. I'm new to engine work. I took some pictrues of them, but they were way to blurry. I'll take some more tomorrow and post them.

How hard is it to split the case and do the crank seals? Is there a kit for this, too?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information