Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Lightened 951 Flywheel?

Hey guys, im a fully equiped performance machine shop capable of doing alot of things. We just bought a brand new rotating assembly balancer at the shop. I was wondering if you guys ever tried and had luck with lightening a stock 951 flywheel?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, I heard PPG lightens the stock 951 flywheel.

On my 800's, Jetinetics and another company (can't remember the name) made aluminum flywheels. I have one of each, they work well. MSD also made some total loss aluminum flywheels.

+1
    I see no reason why you couldn't, especially since you have balancing eqp. If you're not sure how to design it, just have PPG do one for you & copy what they do.

I was wondering about the benefits/risks of lightening the PTO flywheel along with the mag flywheel?

Zig, Mark Underwood lightened my VE920 crank in my SPX. It is astonishing how much more responsive it is, revs instantaneously. So doing the flywheel and mag cup will offer similar gains too.

I have read that there are negative effects of doing this also. I can't remember what they were, anyone else? And if you lighten the flywheel, do you also have to lighten the balancer?

The negatives are shortened bearing life, as they are enduring more vibration and stress. I wouldn't do the PTO, it has been found the rear bearings give up much more quickly when done, than the front.

+1
    Good info! As usual, you can't get sumptin fer nuttin!

Smile

Unless youre racing and want /need every last tenth of a MPH or,tenth of a second faster to turn 1.Stick with some carb and intake work,mild porting,perhaps a dryer aftermarket pipe/pipes,and grate,impeller,ride plate ,before you go lightning flywheel.The biggest loss of horsepower is going from driveshaft to jet pump,out of every 100 hp at the driveshaft you probably are only getting 50 actual hp. pushing the boat.Why else you think big block 16' jetboats with 500+hp only run maybe 75mph???because your jet pump is not very efficent at all!!JMHO>Marvin I think the next biggest gains will be found with pump mods!!>Marvin

I have a PPG lightened flywheel and have had a Jenetics Aluminum flywheel. I couldn't notice a difference in a rec motor. With the harmonics caused by a lighter flywheel shorting crank life I cant justify putting them on my engines.

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I have a PPG lightened flywheel and have had a Jenetics Aluminum flywheel. I couldn't notice a difference in a rec motor. With the harmonics caused by a lighter flywheel shorting crank life I cant justify putting them on my engines.
    Good to know!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information