Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    235
    +1
    1

    Question about the R&D powershot.

    Can a powershot be the only mod done to a Z if I choose? Do you need to replace anything else along with the powershot or can it be the only mod done and what gains should be expected with the powershot alone? How hard is it to tune the powershot? Is it simply a matter of pushing some buttons? Although I understand what it does, I am pretty unfamiliar with the operation of this mod and really looking for an indepth explanation of it. Is this something that I will be constantley having to mess with or will it be a set it and forget type deal. Will it void the warranty? Lots of little questions here I know so thanks in advance and Jerry I really would like your input too.


  2. #2
    no one has this yet...they will ship next week...you will prob need to monitor you a/f ratio and have some understanding of how engines work...I dont think I would do this to a stock machine if that is all I was doing...

    What are you trying to accomplish?? better fuel economy??

    There are a couple of threads on here about this item....use your search...

  3. #3
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    I wouldn't reccomend making the powershot your only or first mod. The motor is so choked for air from the factory the first thing anyone should do is open up the intake, exhaust, and the manifold by removing the ribon near the throttle body and replacing with Riva's manifold upgrade part.

    THEN, if you wanna lean out your a/f mixtures a little for better fuel economy, grab one of the powershots. Just my .02.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    235
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    no one has this yet...they will ship next week...you will prob need to monitor you a/f ratio and have some understanding of how engines work...I dont think I would do this to a stock machine if that is all I was doing...

    What are you trying to accomplish?? better fuel economy??

    There are a couple of threads on here about this item....use your search...

    I'm up on engines; raced and rebuilt atv's for years before making the switch to water last year. Never messed with boost, air/fuel mixing, superchargers and anything really "technical" like this. I research the heck out of anything I do (or buy) before I do it though and I do read all the threads trust me. I may not go with the powershot and stick with straight engine mods but I want the most bang for my buck. As far as what I am trying to accomplish, well Im looking for speed and knee jerking out of the hole power like the RXP-X has. Fuel economy is not a concern really.

  5. #5
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by spinaker View Post
    I'm up on engines; raced and rebuilt atv's for years before making the switch to water last year. Never messed with boost, air/fuel mixing, superchargers and anything really "technical" like this. I research the heck out of anything I do (or buy) before I do it though and I do read all the threads trust me. I may not go with the powershot and stick with straight engine mods but I want the most bang for my buck. As far as what I am trying to accomplish, well Im looking for speed and knee jerking out of the hole power like the RXP-X has. Fuel economy is not a concern really.

    Then all of the other mods should occur first. A Powershot alone ain't gonna cut it.

    I read a lot of posts recently of people trying to go from stock to fastest in the country (or I gotta beat my buddies P-X) in one mod. Ain't gonna happen.


    The heck with knees, I am currently using 45 lb dumbbells to work out to just try to keep myself over the handlbars at holeshot! So far it isn't enough
    Regards

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    235
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Then all of the other mods should occur first. A Powershot alone ain't gonna cut it.

    I read a lot of posts recently of people trying to go from stock to fastest in the country (or I gotta beat my buddies P-X) in one mod. Ain't gonna happen.


    The heck with knees, I am currently using 45 lb dumbbells to work out to just try to keep myself over the handlbars at holeshot! So far it isn't enough
    Regards
    Yeah, thats the way I was on my X, just wish it rode like my SHO did otherwise I would have bought another X.

  7. #7
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    So are you asking what you can do to make your SHO feel like your old P-X did? I'm not sure what you're looking for. Are you asking if it's even possible? The most bang for your buck is going to be and intake, exhaust, and manifold upgrade.

    Take Jerry for example, these are the first mods he did to his SHO and now to his FZR.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    235
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    So are you asking what you can do to make your SHO feel like your old P-X did? I'm not sure what you're looking for. Are you asking if it's even possible? The most bang for your buck is going to be and intake, exhaust, and manifold upgrade.

    Take Jerry for example, these are the first mods he did to his SHO and now to his FZR.
    I just bought an FZR. I had a 08 SHO and an 08 RXP and yes I am looking for the same performance as the X. Just looking for feedback and opinons on the powershot and where it ranks on the list of priorities for mods and if its easy to work with. I have planned to do all the basics like Jerry is doing; just weighing out my options before I spend money.

  9. #9
    I would say you should do the stage 1 kit. I mixed riva and r&d...I think you get the best of both worlds this way. You should get the intercooler elsewhere...but if you do the rest of the kit the fzr will be Bad!! the rpm kit may get you to rxp-x but it will be close unless you do other mods...filling rideplate holes, mod rideplate, vent mods, ect.

    We need a mod and gain thread like the seadoo guys have...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pensacola Fl
    Posts
    235
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    I would say you should do the stage 1 kit. I mixed riva and r&d...I think you get the best of both worlds this way. You should get the intercooler elsewhere...but if you do the rest of the kit the fzr will be Bad!! the rpm kit may get you to rxp-x but it will be close unless you do other mods...filling rideplate holes, mod rideplate, vent mods, ect.

    We need a mod and gain thread like the seadoo guys have...
    Which parts did you you use? I was kind of "iffy" about the R&D Power Plenum. It looks like water could be a bigger concern with this mod verses Rivas power filte kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about the RIVA Stage 2
    By Antiguan FZR in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM
  2. Question about the "B Kit"
    By RXPED in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
  3. Questions about the stage 1 kit from Riva.
    By DSquare in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. Jerry...Question about the online store.
    By Teddy57 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
  5. Questions about the IC install.
    By Therock in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •