Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buick #1 in reliability!

That's right, Buick just knocked Lexus out of the #1 spot in the JD Powers LONG TERM reliability study. Just like I've been saying, all this higher quality BS is just that. It's all a perception and your perception is your reality.

How much weight do you put in the JD reports?

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    That's right, Buick just knocked Lexus out of the #1 spot in the JD Powers LONG TERM reliability study. Just like I've been saying, all this higher quality BS is just that. It's all a perception and your perception is your reality.

And my 1993 Buick Regal GS has recently passed the 225,000 mile mark. Still running strong and no major issues. Only issues have been replacing 2 anti-lock brake sensors, 2 water pumps, and a cruise control sensor. That's 16 years through hard Michigan winters too.

The GM 3.8L V6 is still the best all around V6 on the market IMO. Too bad they quit making it. You can't kill it. Easy as hell to work on and find mechanics to work on it too. Cheap labor and parts for it too.

Just to add on top of that, my dad had 2 late 1980's model Buick Skyhawks. The one lasted over 250,000 miles before he sold it for a really good deal on his other Skyhawk which lasted him for well over 300,000 miles. For as much as people used to complain about rust issues with those cars his had very little rust on them because he took care of them! My mother used to have a mid 1980's Regal which also lasted over 200,000 miles. Currently my mother drives a 2000 Buick Regal LS and my dad drives a Buick Rendevous. No major issues on either, just general maintenance after about 100,000 miles on both.

+1
    I would concur-our '06 Rendezvous (purchased new) has 31K and has only had two issues. I'm a little concerned about the availability of parts from GM. In late 2007 I had to wait 3 months for a simple ABS harness for my '99 GTP and now I'm waiting for tranny cooler lines for the Rendezvous. I concur that the 3800 is a great engine-especially with the supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I concur that the 3800 is a great engine-especially with the supercharger.
    Slap a ZZ Performance ECU on there along with a cold air intake and watch that GTP wake up.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=182&catid=107

+1
    What's a Buick? ...

+1
    RXP - I have a Wizaired CAI and a ZZP downpipe with a modified GMPP catback exhaust. These mods really woke it up. I haven't gotten into the engine because as it sits I waste a set of Firestone Firehawk wide oval tires in under 20K miles. I also have the GMPP strut/spring sets, sway bars and strut tower brace. It's a very fun car but I still dream about owning a GNX just to have a piece of Buick history.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...I'm a little concerned about the availability of parts from GM...
    With so many auto part suppliers on the ropes or already gone under, I think the whole auto replacement parts supply chain is becoming a potential vehicle value trap.

If GM (or Chrysler) or some of the major parts suppliers go under, it is possible that the existing used vehicles will depreciate further, faster, as it becomes harder to get replacement and repair parts. Acquiring a reputation for hard to get parts would also impact new GM/Chrysler vehicle values, making even new vehicles harder to sell.

If important parts (and there are thousands upon thousands of them across the many models and recent model years) become scarce, other parts companies may tool up to supply them. But they will only do so when they feel they can charge enough for each part to make it worthwhile. That price may be much higher than the past pricing was.

For things that are harder to replicate, like computer controlled modules and patent protected designs, the parts may simply not be available once the current inventory runs out.

Parts used on only a few models/years may never be replicated, if the original supplier goes away, and the demand for replacements is not high.

I had a 1997.5 Buick GS. It was the newly re-designed buick with the 3.8L V6 with the small SC. Thing was sweet! It was way more plush than the Pontiac Grand Am, and just as much pop! I never modified it, but it was a cool car. My parents own it now, have had a few issues here and there, but its still running. I'm not sure of the miliage! Cool for Buick! They make some nice cars! We all need to go out and buy Buicks.

RXP - I have a Wizaired CAI and a ZZP downpipe with a modified GMPP catback exhaust. These mods really woke it up. I haven't gotten into the engine because as it sits I waste a set of Firestone Firehawk wide oval tires in under 20K miles. I also have the GMPP strut/spring sets, sway bars and strut tower brace. It's a very fun car but I still dream about owning a GNX just to have a piece of Buick history.
    Sweet! Yea, I hear ya on the GNX. I'd love to have one. A guy was selling a Grand National near me recently, but it was strictly a drag car.

The ZZ PCM is pretty sweet though. A friend of mine put it on his 2000 GT. The change in the shift points is pretty nice, along with the quicker shifts (especially downshifts) and the timing advance. Definitely recommend it for the price too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information