Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up The WetDog 2000 Mile PWC Endurance Race May, 2011

The first "WetDog" 2000 mile PWC race is kicking off soon. One of my friends Ralph Perez "TrawlerCat" is particpating and helping to organize this event. Ralph could use your help with sponsorship for the "Paving the way expedition" I have attached a form which explains it all and has links to the race site. There is also an excellent article in the Jan/Feb edition of Ride magazine. Please do what you can to support Ralph.

www.wetdograce.com
    http://www.awahq.org/news/Press-Rele...-dog-race.html

Thanks OsideBill
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    The first "WetDog" 2000 mile PWC race is kicking off soon. One of my friends Ralph Perez "TrawlerCat" is particpating and helping to organize this event. Ralph could your help with sponsorship for the "Paving the way expedition" I have attached a form which explains it all and has links to the race site. There is also an excellent article in the Jan/Feb edition of Ride magazine. Please do what you can to support Ralph.

www.wetdograce.com
    http://www.awahq.org/news/Press-Rele...-dog-race.html

Thanks OsideBill

I sent in my bit of the pot..
    Good luck ralph!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post

I sent in my bit of the pot..
    Good luck ralph!
    I did too, but I refused to take the T-Shirt since he gave me a couple at the Hahn race I will have to dig through the spares pile and start a garage sale for him

Thats some crazzyy stuff.

+1

Offshore OceanRider
    +1
    You guys and the entire PWC boating community are awesome. Thank you so much! I just lost all I previously wrote for some reason - so here is a redo from the comfort of this D.C. hotel room.

I'm now starving but this thread lit a nice warm feeling inside - so lunch/dinner; which I failed to eat will have to wait. At 0605 a.m. I boarded a flight to D.C. and now here I am for the week.

While sitting in that chair at 35,000 feet staring out that window I figured out the meaning of life and why those guys that climb those huge mountains do so. And now I can't remember cause I didn't write it down. In my mind it went something like this. You know those wine critics that say a wine tastes like fragrances of this or that which you totally can't imagine? Well its not your taste buds that do any of the work, its your nose that somehow gets it down to your brain stem to translate it all for you. Now add the visual aspect of it. That's why they climb those mountains. So why are we heading off on this crazy sounding expedition? Maybe I'll figure it out while I'm out there.

Thank you once again for all your support.

Trawlercat
    (Wet Dog Expedition Member)

Thank Green Hulk Forum

Dear Friends, PWC enthusiasts, and future friends and everyone else who is interested.

As the founder of The Alaska Wet Dog, the organizer, and a planner, I would like to say THANK YOU to each and everyone that is helping Ralph out.

The task of organizing this event has been nothing short of an astronomical as you all can imagine. Ralph has been nothing short of a godsend with his contributions of writing and helping spread the word.

I am sure that Ralph can use your support for our paving the way expedition. We are going to be 22 days on the ocean. While we will be seeing country and sights that will be nothing short of epic, at the same time fuel, food and rooms can be very expensive in the remote villages and towns that we will be stopping at.

I really appreciate any and all support you can throw Ralph’s direction. Just to be clear, what ever support is offered to Ralph, goes to Ralph and no one else.
    Each member of this trip is responsible for their own expenses.

Thank you again.
    Sincerely
    John Lang (aka: WetDog)
    The Alaskan Wet Dog Race
    Last edited by WetDog; 03-22-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot one word

+1
    WetDog, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you here.

Offshore OceanRider
    +1

Checkpoint 7 - Kodiak Island

Wet Dog Expedition – May 19th – June 6th – (Checkpoint 7) Kodiak (N57.47.081 W152.24.592) is located near the eastern tip of Kodiak Island in the Gulf of Alaska and is the largest island in Alaska. It is 252 air miles south of Anchorage. The USCG comprises a large portion of the community, which is primarily non-Native, with the majority of the population being Sugpiaq Eskimos or Aleuts.

Kodiak experiences frequent cloud cover and fog.

From the official Kodiak Island Visitors Guide - http://kodiak.org/

The Kodiak Island Archipelago is a large group of islands about 30 miles off the coast of Alaska. The archipelago is about 177 miles long and encompasses nearly 5,000 square miles, roughly the size of the state of Connecticut.

At 3,588 square miles, Kodiak Island is the largest island in the group and the second largest island in the United States. Only the island of Hawaii is larger. The City of Kodiak, at the northeastern tip of the island, is about 250 miles south of Anchorage. The city serves as the major supply and transportation hub for the archipelago's six villages.

Although the main population center surrounds the City of Kodiak, there are also six small cities in the Kodiak Archipelago. Five are located on Kodiak Island and one is on Spruce Island.

EACH OF THE CITIES CAN BE ONLY BE REACHED BY AIRCRAFT OR BOAT.

The archipelago is a continuation of the Kenai Mountain Range, which begins on the Kenai Peninsula, 90 miles to the north. Lying in the Aleutian Trench, the archipelago has been strongly influenced by both volcanic and seismic activity along the "chain of fire."

Ten thousand years ago, most of the islands were covered by glaciers that scored and carved the landscape. Jagged peaks, fjord-like bays and wide U-shaped valleys were left by the glacial retreat.

Nature's handiwork created a place of spectacular scenic beauty and a wilderness ideally suited for land, sea and and marine life. Lush vegetation carpets the terrain, giving the Emerald Isle its name.

In April, Whale Fest Kodiak celebrates the annual migration of gray whales through Kodiak waters with educational programs, music and art. Whales can also be observed from several points along Kodiak’s road system throughout spring and summer months.

Memorial Day weekend is important in Kodiak. It signals the end of winter and the promise of sunshine and warmer weather. Crab Festival, a Kodiak tradition for more than 50 years, celebrates the bounty of the sea. People come to Kodiak from all over Alaska to enjoy this four-day festival. Food is the main attraction, along with carnival rides, survival suit races and demonstrations by the Coast Guard rescue team. A large art exhibit provides opportunity for artists to show and sell their work. Two ceremonies during the festival are very important to local fishing families.

A moving Fisherman’s Memorial Service honors those lost at sea during the past year and the blessing of the Fleet sends the current fleet off with prayers for a safe return. Mark your calendar! Crab Festival is scheduled this year May 21 - 25, 2009. (Guess where we’re planning on stopping!!!!

In the tradition of the nation, Kodiak celebrates the 4th of July with a parade and fireworks. The many cultures of Kodiak are highlighted with colorful and lively parade floats.

In August, hundreds of people travel to Kodiak to honor the life and canonization of St. Herman of the Russian Orthodox Church by making a pilgrimage to his home on Spruce Island.

Labor Day weekend is Rodeo and State Fair time in Kodiak. Equestrian events, exhibits assembled by active 4-H clubs, and a full-fledged rodeo fill the weekend with fun and laughter.

A thriving
    arts community provides a variety of performances, art shows, and musical entertainment throughout the year. The sporting community hosts activities ranging from high school athletics to cycling, running and other competitive opportunities. In other words Kodiak, in spite of its remote location and rugged landscape, is a typical small town.
    Keep up with the expedition – visit www.wetdograce.com
    Paving the Way Expedition Proposed Route Description & Waypoints
    Our start point is vicinity of (N61.12.720 W149.56.273) from Anchorage to Kenai and is approximately 87 miles.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Our next checkpoint is from Kenai (N60.32.863 W151.16.156) to Kasilloff. A convention and Visitor Center is located at Kenai. The number there is

Offshore OceanRider
    +1

Wet Dog Expedition - May 19, 2009

Community Profiles and Waypoints
    The paving the way expedition will cover approximately 1850 sea miles around the Aleutian Islands. These islands are a chain of rugged, volcanic islands that curve for about 1200 miles in a westerly direction from the tip of the Alaskan Peninsula as they approach Russia’s Komandorski Islands; separating the Bering Sea from the Pacific Ocean. A few good harbors exist in the chain however; there are a number of reefs throughout the area that may make navigation treacherous. Mt Shishaldin, is on the island of Unimak and is one of a number of active volcanoes in the chain.

The Aleutians experience relatively moderate temperatures which also is the cause of heavy rains and constant fog. The expedition members should know that the islands are almost treeless for good reason. There is also a unique type of vegetation on the islands unlike any other in the world. Goldenrod, lupine, kinnikinnick and yarrow are spread out and are believed arrived from North America from the east. Iris, purple orchid, Kamchatka rhododendron and Chukchi primrose is believed to have come from Asia from the west. Some of the aforementioned species extend into both ends of the Aleutian chain.

Most of the islands are within the Aleutian National Wildlife Reserve. Sheep and reindeer are raised by the native population. Hunting and fishing are also the main occupations of the native population.

The Aleutians compromise four main island groups

Fox Islands (nearest to the mainland
    Includes UNIMAK, UNALASKA, UMNAK AND AKUTAN
    Andreanof Islands
    Includes AMLIA, ATKA, ADAK, KANAGA AND TANAGA
    Rat Islands
    Includes AMCHITKA AND KISKA
    Near Islands
    AGATTU AND ATTU (most Westernmost)

The Aleutian/Pribilof Region (A/PIA) consists of 13 communities. The thirteen communities are: AKUTAN, ATKA, BELKOFSKI, FALSE PASS, KING COVE, NELSON LAGOON, NIKOLSKI, PAULOFF HARBOR, SAND POINT, ST GEORGE, ST PAUL, UNALASKA AND UNGA.

Other communities that are a part of the Aleutian Chain, but not a part of A/PIA are: ADAK, AMCHITKA, and ATTU.

Aleutians East Borough includes AKUTAN; COLD BAY; FALSE PASS; KING COVE; NELSON LAGOON; and SAND POINT.

Akutan is located on Akutan Island in the eastern Aleutians; it is one of the Krenitzin islands of the FOX ISLAND GROUP. This island is 35 miles east of UNALASKA (Vic of N54.135560 W165.77306) and 766 air miles southwest of Anchorage. Akutan is a fishing community and the site of the traditional Unangan village. Approximately 75 people live there year round.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information