Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Gasket question

  1. #1

    Gasket question

    Well winter's over and before i drop in my 08 1300 i have some stuff i want to do to it (esp. since my warranty is basically up). First i want to take out the cat and throw in a D plate, and i figure while i have the stinger off it'd be a good time to throw on a high flow flame arrestor and the jetworks mod. Now i'm a honda mechanic and rarely ever do i not re-use gaskets, and i know the service manual says the stinger gaskets are not reusable, but on riva they're like 20-30 bucks a piece...WTF? This seems pretty rediculous because i get the vibe you guys basically pull the stinger off when you're bored, and i can't imagine spending 50-70 bucks worth in gaskets just to put it back on....


  2. #2
    Altezza01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    1,527
    +1
    13
    i didn't change out my stinger gasket. i used my head gasket about 3-4 times before i got a new one. gaskets i dont reuse are base gaskets and intake gaskets. but that's just me. i just make sure they're clean before i reinstall them.

  3. #3
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    You can reuse if they are in good shape. I like to shoot them with copper coat.

  4. #4
    SpeedJunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,118
    +1
    35
    You can absolutely re-use them, as long as they are not damaged.

    When I re-install them I coat them with a permatex product called copper spray-a-gasket, never had a problem.

  5. #5
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post
    You can absolutely re-use them, as long as they are not damaged.

    When I re-install them I coat them with a permatex product called copper spray-a-gasket, never had a problem.
    +1.. keep an eye on the black coating on the gasket,its a good indication of the condition..if its starts peeling dont reuse

  6. #6
    Altezza01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    1,527
    +1
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    You can reuse if they are in good shape. I like to shoot them with copper coat.
    +1

  7. #7
    oh good call on the copper spray, i've used that before and totally forgot. But considering its an 08 i'm sure the gaskets can't be that worn. Now for me to jack my own post....

    I've been reading some guys say the jetworks mod should have an aftermarket grate and pump seal kit installed as well. I don't have a problem with that, however i've been reading about grates for 3 hours and i think i'm more confused now then when i started. So obviously i want it to be reliable and not kill me. I ride mostly little chop on a lake, and usually just cruise, and do a few WOT runs. Which grate can i get to throw on it and not have to worry about it shattering to pieces? Also, figured i'd do a ride plate at the same time. Unfortunately i don't have the cash for the shred, so what's a good alternative?

  8. #8
    Mike xsockguyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,744
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    oh good call on the copper spray, i've used that before and totally forgot. But considering its an 08 i'm sure the gaskets can't be that worn. Now for me to jack my own post....

    I've been reading some guys say the jetworks mod should have an aftermarket grate and pump seal kit installed as well. I don't have a problem with that, however i've been reading about grates for 3 hours and i think i'm more confused now then when i started. So obviously i want it to be reliable and not kill me. I ride mostly little chop on a lake, and usually just cruise, and do a few WOT runs. Which grate can i get to throw on it and not have to worry about it shattering to pieces? Also, figured i'd do a ride plate at the same time. Unfortunately i don't have the cash for the shred, so what's a good alternative?
    Best bet on a grate for what you are looking at doing is a R&D 1200 or a Riva Top Loader(basically same thing). Nice simple grates. R&D ride plates are fast then Riva plates. You can order a R&D plate and then talk to Jim Performance or Island Racing to have it modified. Both these guys make incredible plates that will add between 3-5mph. The shred is a nice plate but its a rough water plate you'll lose speed on flat water. For what your doing I would say R&D plate then in future get it modified. Jet works kit is good for holeshot the Island Racing stealth mod is the way to go I think. Pump seal kit will help the cavitation and also look into a Pump Tunnel reinforcement thats very important. The pump tunnels are known to crack. Also PM Pale Rider (andy) he just did a huge project on his 08' GPR and will have loads of info for you.

  9. #9
    I disagree with you guys, and never reuse a head gasket especially.. They are embossed and part of the sealing is the crushing of the embossed area. Once crushed, it wont crush the same again.. Kinda like a crush sleeve on a rear diff pinion gear..
    If you reuse a head gasket, it can leak compression and you wont know it. One guy here local was down on speed, and found out it was his reused head gasket leaking compression.
    If it doesnt leak compression, it can leak water into the cylinder, and we all know what that can cost you..
    Ross

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Best bet on a grate for what you are looking at doing is a R&D 1200 or a Riva Top Loader(basically same thing). Nice simple grates. R&D ride plates are fast then Riva plates. You can order a R&D plate and then talk to Jim Performance or Island Racing to have it modified. Both these guys make incredible plates that will add between 3-5mph. The shred is a nice plate but its a rough water plate you'll lose speed on flat water. For what your doing I would say R&D plate then in future get it modified. Jet works kit is good for holeshot the Island Racing stealth mod is the way to go I think. Pump seal kit will help the cavitation and also look into a Pump Tunnel reinforcement thats very important. The pump tunnels are known to crack. Also PM Pale Rider (andy) he just did a huge project on his 08' GPR and will have loads of info for you.
    yeah i forgot to mention i'm going to reinforce the pump tunnel, i know my boat is made of smc, but if i sand it down i should be able to lay some sheets of fiber cloth and resin down right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Head gasket question?
    By carlos accord in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
  2. head gasket question?
    By ctriverguy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 08:47 PM
  3. Head Gasket Question
    By race24x in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM
  4. intake gasket question?
    By thebert in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
  5. Gasket question
    By Yambo in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •