Thread: cracked mirror

+1

cracked mirror

Hey everyone,

So I pulled the cover off the ski today, hoping to get her ready for the upcoming season, when I notice that my mirror is cracked. Not the housing, but the actual glass has a crack basically splitting it in half (incidentally, mirror is on a 96 Raider) and I was wondering if there was a way of repairing or replacing the glass itself?

I managed to get the glass housing separate from the yellow plastic shell, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the glass itself out. I can't figure out how one would even get to the screw that's holding it in place out without removing the glass.

Any thoughts?

+1
    Heh - guess the broke mirror would explain some of my recent bad luck

..and maybe why no one's answering

+1
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=49&B=15

I dont know which raider you have but this is the parts list for the hood for a 96 wave raider 1100. That mirror will cost $171. Or you can see if anyone has one used.

+1
    Also here's the service manual for a waveraider http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xytwm2dmwxm download and save it. Always good to have.

+1
    Thanks xsockguyx, I had the manual from a previous repair issue, but I really appreciate the help. Sadly, the dealer here is asking something like $230 CAD, and I actually laughed at him on the phone (it's for the whole plastic assembly, but come on! ). A few people replied on other forums with decent prices for used ones, but sadly with the cost of shipping and the conversion to CAD, it was too pricey.

As for my question of getting the inner screw out, it wasn't required, but the way to get to it is to break / remove the glass.

And lastly, the glass is replaceable - I went to a mirror and glass place and they cut a new one and installed it in the housing in under 30 minutes, for a reasonable price. So all is right, except I have to wait for warmer weather!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TempoGT View Post
    Thanks xsockguyx, I had the manual from a previous repair issue, but I really appreciate the help. Sadly, the dealer here is asking something like $230 CAD, and I actually laughed at him on the phone (it's for the whole plastic assembly, but come on! ). A few people replied on other forums with decent prices for used ones, but sadly with the cost of shipping and the conversion to CAD, it was too pricey.

As for my question of getting the inner screw out, it wasn't required, but the way to get to it is to break / remove the glass.

And lastly, the glass is replaceable - I went to a mirror and glass place and they cut a new one and installed it in the housing in under 30 minutes, for a reasonable price. So all is right, except I have to wait for warmer weather!
    Good to here its all worked out for you! Ski parts are expensive especially stuff for older ski's. Its getting warmer in Jersey I should be out in the water in the next 2 weeks testing the ski.

+1

warmer weather is almost here

I couldn't agree more - some of the parts I've seen on forums are decently priced, but other than that (fleebay, dealer, etc) they're ridiculously expensive.

As for the warmer weather, I took my motorcycle out yesterday , and might get a chance next weekend to head out on the water. I also have a Challenger I picked up with a blown motor to put back together before the season gets really underway (the previous owner decided that his crankcase needed more ventilation and put a hole thru both sides of it when a rod let go).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TempoGT View Post
    I couldn't agree more - some of the parts I've seen on forums are decently priced, but other than that (fleebay, dealer, etc) they're ridiculously expensive.

As for the warmer weather, I took my motorcycle out yesterday , and might get a chance next weekend to head out on the water. I also have a Challenger I picked up with a blown motor to put back together before the season gets really underway (the previous owner decided that his crankcase needed more ventilation and put a hole thru both sides of it when a rod let go).
    Nice car. I spend alot of weekends at car shows. I run a pretty big one in October that gets a good turn out over a 130 cars this year expecting 200.

+1
    I think we got our Challengers mixed up. I meant the Sea-Doo kind, not the Dodge kind. Although I really like the look of the new ones (car that is), I love the old muscle cars. So very different from the generic econo-boxes they put out nowadays... cars had metal in 'em. And not this light stuff, good ol' steel

Thread Information