'97 Seadoo XLT Problem

Hi Guys,

I love riding jet skis but do not know very much about them mechanically and I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what could be wrong with my jet ski. There have been a couple times where the jet ski would be taken out in the bay and would run for a little bit and then shut off and wouldn't start back up. We had to tow it back and take it out of the water. After some time, the jet ski would start back up fine. We took it to one of the marinas near us and they replaced 2 carburetors but the problem still occurred. I'm worried to go back to the marina and have them try something else and have it not work and be out more money. So I wanted to know if anyone ever had similar issues or if someone could help me out with an idea of what could possibly be wrong.

Thank you in advance

+1
    We need more information in order to help you.

Check the name on your boat. Yamaha made an XLT, not SeaDoo. If it has three cylinders in '97 it is definitely not a Doo.

If it is a Yamaha, you need to ask those guys. I am not sure of the other Doo'ers,
    but I have never had anything other than SD.

Though there are a lot of similarities between brands, the little quirks and common failures will differ for the most part.

Sorry about that. I meant to say it is a 1997 Seadoo GTX 3 passenger.

+1
    Ok, no sweat.

That is a 787 engine. They electical issues with those year models. Hopefully some of the 787 guys will chime in.

I would not think fuel, though it may have needed carbs, who can say. The old gray fuel lines that it came with are a problem so if they are still on there, replacing them would be a good idea.

Still, from what you describe, I would think electrical. It should have a sealed MPEM in the front and a high power box (coils, starter solonoid) in the back. Make sure that the rear box does not have any water in it.

Thanks alot for the help. I'll be sure to check the electrical out and see about replacing the gray fuel lines and check for water.

+1
    Take compression readings from the cyls and let us know what they are...

Thread Information