Oil pump Question and more.

Good day to all. This is my first post. I am a noob to the PWC world so I need some help. Im not a noob to wrenches and grease

I have a Genesis 1999 fuel injected. I got it to fire up and shut it off in about 3 seconds. What concerns me is the brass tubes that inject oil into the throttle body. I do not see any oil dripping/spraying. i poured oil into the throats to give some lube( it has sat for 1.25 years). what is it supposed to look like as you look at the tube during operation when it idles, and when i open the throttle?

Is there any smoke supposed to come out of the back in normal out of water operation? It smokes when i add oil to the throats my self( duh) but i need to ask more of how much smoke is supposed to come out. I am under the impression smoke = good.

Is it normal for the engine to crank for 4-5 revolutions out of water to fire up?

Does the display ever shut off?

What is an intake grate have to offer above stock?

Thank you very much in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Service Manuals and lots of other Polaris info.

Overall, these fuel injected Ficht Polaris engines run very clean. I have three, and they never smoke. They do take a couple of seconds to wake up and start when cold, and that seems to be normal.

Normally the variable ratio oil pump moves very little oil at idle (roughly 100:1 ratio). At high RPM it will pump much more oil.

You should not add oil to the fuel, since the fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber, and does not get anywhere near the crank case bearings.

Since this machine has been sitting, you can confirm the oil pump is working by manually rotating the arm on the oil pump. This will increase the oil flow rate, and you should be able to see it dribbling into the throats.

The MFI display does go to sleep after about five minutes, but the clock and a few other things will continue to be visible. It uses very little battery power when sleeping, and will not drain the battery even over several months (if the battery is a good battery, like a sealed AGM type).

When the MFI wakes up (which will tell you it was asleep), it cycles the RPM indicator full sweep. Touch any button to wake it, or crank the engine.

Aftermarket intake grates for the Genesis can be hard to find, as I think (I could be wrong) that the Genesis intake grate is slightly different size than the rest of the Polaris hulls. You might have to do some searching and reading to find out for sure.

For the Genesis hull, if you ride in rough water, a scoop style intake grate can help keep the jet pump hooked up. That said, the Genesis is big enough and heavy enough that it might do OK with the stock grate. I have not yet ridden a Genesis.

If you can, you might want to contact a Polaris dealer, and have them check your HIN number against the Polaris service database. What you want to know is whether all the outstanding Service Bulletins were ever done for your machine. 1999 was the first year for the Ficht system on Polaris, and I think there were a few updates.

Do you know if the machine was winterized before is sat for two winters?
    Is the gasoline old? Was it stabilized?

Thank you for the Welcome and thank you for all the help with the manuals i downloaded from you.

No winterized, old fuel, full tank of gas.

I plan on adding Sta-bil to the gas.
    I cranked and cranked on it at first, then i clamped the return line and it acted as if it wanted to fire. afew moments later bam it fired right up.
    I removed the clam and it stayed running!
    I plan to check fuel pressure with an inline gauge to check pump health and regulator.

I did manually move the arm for a second, then i shut it off because i dont know how long it can go w/o oil. I added oil to the throats to be on the safe side.

when i moved the oil lever i still did not see oil dribble, perhaps i did not wait long enough for the oil to reach the fittings.

also it leaks alot thru the bleed screw, I will investigate it. does anyone have an expoloded view of the oil pump? I want to disasemble it to make sure there are no obious signs of wear and tear.

Another note, The entire inside of the hull is coated with oil(leaky pump). what is the recommended way to wash this out? I was thinking of simple green and a garden hose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    ...No winterized, old fuel, full tank of gas.

I plan on adding Sta-bil to the gas.
    Sta-Bil won't fix old gas.
    I cranked and cranked on it at first, then i clamped the return line and it acted as if it wanted to fire. afew moments later bam it fired right up.
    I removed the clam and it stayed running!
    I plan to check fuel pressure with an inline gauge to check pump health and regulator.
    Yes, should read 20+PSI. If near zero, there is a fix for the regulator inside the fuel pump (which is inside the tank)

I did manually move the arm for a second, then i shut it off because i don't know how long it can go w/o oil. I added oil to the throats to be on the safe side.
    Since you have manually added oil, it can run for a while at idle without damage. Add a little more from time to time if you are worried, until you are comfortable with the oil pump.

when i moved the oil lever i still did not see oil dribble, perhaps i did not wait long enough for the oil to reach the fittings.

also it leaks alot thru the bleed screw, I will investigate it. does anyone have an exploded view of the oil pump? I want to disassemble it to make sure there are no obvious signs of wear and tear.
    Same place you found the other manuals.

Another note, The entire inside of the hull is coated with oil(leaky pump). what is the recommended way to wash this out? I was thinking of simple green and a garden hose.
    Simple Green does the job. Let it sit in the hull for a while, and perhaps take it for a ride on the trailer to slosh it around.

If there is grime and staining inside the bottom of the hull, you can mix some bleach with the simple green, and let that work for a while. I even used spray bottle with the blend to clean up the inside sides and foam in one of my hulls. Wear a mask, gloves and old clothes - bleach mist is no fun to inhale or get in your eyes.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome aboard engineer.

Pull up a chair and read awhile. Lots of great info is posted here.

Thank you

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

what Should i do with 1 year old fuel? 17 gal

I will be adding an onboard pressure gauge, water temp, and volt meter to help monitor the engine. any tips on this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    ...What Should I do with 1 year old fuel? 17 gal

I will be adding an onboard pressure gauge, water temp, and volt meter to help monitor the engine.
    Old gasoline? Well, you could drain it out, and take it to a service shop that has a service for collecting and disposing of old fuel.

Or you could set it aside, and add a little to each tankful in your car or truck. A gallon or two per fill up, and work though it. Just be sure it doesn't have water in the fuel.

Old fuel (but not too old) loses octane, but is still burnable. Modern car engines can compensate, especially if you fill the tank with mid-grade or premium while working through the old fuel.

Or use it in your lawn mower, weed eater - even give some to the neighbors for theirs.

Why bother adding gauges? The MFI shows battery voltage. Accurate enough to tell whether the charging system is working, and whether the battery is reasonably charged.

Water flow is typically not a problem if you work through and make sure the thermostat/pop-off is OK, and the inlet filter in the jet pump is clean. If the engine temp gets too high, there is a warning on the MFI for that.

There is another temp sensor inside the EMM module, which is also water cooled. It will flag Check Engine on the MFI if the EMM gets too hot.

Pressure gauge - fuel or water?
    If fuel pressure drops too low, you will know because the engine will run very rough.

Thread Information