Questions about Metal Gear solid 4 for PS3

I recently got a PS3 and all of my kids were telling me I HAD to get this game because it was the best game for the system.

My problem is that I never played the other two for PS2 and therefore I do not understand the storyline or anything that is going on. The game just starts up and doesnt explain anything. Every five minutes there is a cutscene that just gets more and more confusing..

Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on? It seems like a cool game but since I do not understand any of the storyline Im losing interest fast...

anyone???

The MGS series is one of the BEST series ever. I started with metal gear solid. You might want to do the same maybe?

They are all great games if you can get past the lesser graphics. Anyways, here is a run down I got off another site. I could type days on this....

The story of Metal Gear is extremely simple. OK, that is definitely a lie. But for the sake of sparing you several thousand words (that you'd be better off playing through anyway), it will be put as simply as possible. The overarching conflict in the Metal Gear Solid games is between a man named Snake and a war machine known as Metal Gear. Now, you might argue that the conflict is really between Snake and the villains who seek to use the walking tanks for world domination. But one could counter that the destructive spirit inspiring all of these evil-doers is the omnipotent, missile-launching Metal Gear. It drives them as much as they drive it. And what drives Snake? Loyalty? Love? Duty? Or is he just following orders? Rather than psychoanalyze him too much (although we see that he likes Castlevania!), let's briefly go over the story so far.

The Metal Gear timeline actually begins in Metal Gear Solid 3, where Naked Snake is trying to save the world from his former mentor, The Boss, and a sociopath named Volgin. Naked Snake succeeds only to discover that The Boss wasn't bad after all -- she was ordered to die a traitor. Even though Naked Snake earns the title of Big Boss for his heroics, it seems clear that the death of The Boss has broken his heart. Between this and the original Metal Gear, two things happen: Big Boss decides following orders isn't all it's cracked up to be, and three children are cloned from his genes. One of those becomes Solid Snake.

This brings us to the first Metal Gear, which came out for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1988. Solid Snake is working for Big Boss as an agent of an organization known as FOXHOUND. Big Boss orders Snake to destroy a Metal Gear (big scary walking tank) and rescue another agent named Grey Fox. Things go well, until it turns out that the Big Boss is actually the bad guy in control of Metal Gear. He only put Solid on the case because he thought his lack of experience would blow the mission. Instead, Solid blows up the Metal Gear.

In Metal Gear 2, Big Boss returns with Grey Fox at his side, but Solid Snake defeats them both and stops Metal Gear yet again.

Metal Gear Solid takes place after these events, when another one of Big Boss's cloned kids, Liquid Snake, reforms FOXHOUND and takes over a nuclear facility on Shadow Moses Island. Snake shows up, finds out he has a bad virus, fights a ninja, blows up Metal Gear, punches out Liquid, and rescues a girl soldier named Meryl.

In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, a previously unheard of agent named Raiden attempts to rescue the president of the United States from a group known as The Sons of Liberty. Things get hairy, though, when it turns out that the President is also a clone of The Big Boss. His name is Solidus, and he has rocket shooting tentacles and a sword. Solidus reveals to Raiden that he is the leader of the Sons of Liberty and that the world is actually controlled by illuminati known as the Patriots. Also, he's Raiden's father. Kind of. Meanwhile, Liquid Snake's severed right arm somehow manages to take over the entire body of a gunslinger named Revolver Ocelot, which he uses to carjack a Metal Gear prototype and escape.

And now, in Metal Gear Solid 4, you reassume the role of Solid Snake as he attempts to prevent Liquid Ocelot from taking over the world with a huge mercenary army. Unfortunately, you're dying from early onset old age, and you're full of nano machines that probably aren't under your control.

eh...

that doesnt make a whole lotta sense outside of the context of the game unfortunately...

In the game its not clear who the enemy is. In the beginning the guy on the radio says not to attack us soldiers or arabs.. but rather to avoid being seen. Im just kinda running around trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Can I just know the basics- who made the metal gear walker tanks? what side do they fight for? who excactly is the enemy? what is the basic plot/storyline of this game? In other words- What is Snake's objective? etc.

I understand that there is a long history, Snake is a clone, etc.
    I just want to know what I need to know to get through this game and understand what im doing.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    In the game its not clear who the enemy is. In the beginning the guy on the radio says not to attack us soldiers or arabs.. but rather to avoid being seen. Im just kinda running around trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
    Who made the metal gear walking tanks? who controls them? WTF?

what is my objective? who am I fighting? what is the main story line of this particular game? If I cant enjoy it without playing three other games first- im porbably not going to bother.
    Ok,

Your objective is to kill liquid ocelot, stop some metal gear stuff, and stop him from having control of the nano machines in the soldiers body's. The nano machines in the soldiers body's make them stronger and faster. They also allow to them use weapons and not use weapons.

The metal gear stuff is made by the United States or out side contractors. It is all linked.

Basically Liquid Ocelot wants to take control of the nano machine network. He can then disable everyones weapons and take over everything. He would be in full control. Your job is to get rid of his ass.

What are nano machines?

If the US controls the Metal Gears then why do they want to kill snake? Who does Snake work for?

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    What are nano machines?

If the US controls the Metal Gears then why do they want to kill snake? Who does Snake work for?
    Nano machines are injected in all the of soldiers. This helps them with their tasks in the battle field. You will learn more about the nano machines as you play through.

Well, US doesn't control all of the metal gears. The frogs in the field you have come across early in the game are like tiny metal gears. They are nothing like the real thing. You will actually use a metal gear machine in the game.

Snake works for part of the United States government. They are there to take out Ocelot. Ocelot is in control of a private military force that is comparable to the USA Military.

Also, you might want to check out Metal Gear Wiki.

This site has EVERYTHING about the Metal Gear series in it.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Wiki

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    the game is sick.. is started it, graphics were insane on PS3!!!

I just had no idea what to do or where to go after the first mission

but seriously.. i was lost

in the Playstation Network there is a Metal Gear database download which has every thing about the game in it.

Thread Information