Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My latest drama

+1

My latest drama

I took my wifes stock 15f out on the weekend for a ride.
    long story short lost oil pressure and resulted in a 2 1/2 hour tow back to the ramp.

on tear down thank god cylinders and head are in great shape....as for the bottom end,the oil pump sprocket bolt broke and sheared the cog on the crank.

about a $1800 dollar repair job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4078.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	473.9 KB 
ID:	122867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4077.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	122868  

thats rough pete. 18 hundo is a lot of cash you could put into the blown ski. BTW how's she runnin? Did you end up using a riva s/c setup and put a different s/c pully on it to lower compression to run pump gas?

Ive seen the same thing but the cause was not the bolt.

It looks as though we are seeing the results of another problem.

Have you pulled the oil pump apart. It seems as though something got lodged in the pump itself causing it to lock up. Crank still turning with the oil pump locked up cause the chain to sheer off the teeth.

So what happened to the oil pump to cause it to lock up. find any debris in it.

+1
    lots of debry due to sheared of teeth.have been told this has happened a few times also, and was told that kawai changed the bolt part # and up-graded the bolt but would not admit to a part failure.

what is more of a piss of is the teeth on the crank can not be replaced, oh well new crank on the way.(come on jerry two motors on my bench waiting to go back together}

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskir15f View Post
    thats rough pete. 18 hundo is a lot of cash you could put into the blown ski. BTW how's she runnin? Did you end up using a riva s/c setup and put a different s/c pully on it to lower compression to run pump gas?
    only using the supercharger out of the riva kit(but is running 15psi).lowered the compression with some custom pistons,new ecu, and some internal crank case moderfications that it seems everyone has been getting done and like me also can not show, due to respect of that person modding them.

Team N2L #112 *Monster 15FKawi*'s Avatar
    1800? Sorry to hear that bro.
    My 08 15F engine blew too! Need New ,Pistons,Cams and a New Oil Pump..gotta rebuild one of the cylinders too. Only had 65hrs on it.

It seemed that some salt-water got into the #1 cylinder and it all went downhill from there.

I told A.S. were to send that to get it covered under warranty. They called last week saying it never arrived.

You know the place. PM me and Ill get you the contact person.

Quote Originally Posted by pete71 View Post
    lots of debry due to sheared of teeth.have been told this has happened a few times also, and was told that kawai changed the bolt part # and up-graded the bolt but would not admit to a part failure.

what is more of a piss of is the teeth on the crank can not be replaced, oh well new crank on the way.(come on jerry two motors on my bench waiting to go back together}
    Typical Kawasaki not to admit that .
    I just bought a new 09 15f and the fuel tank split open at the plastic filler neck on the tank causing about 15 ltrs of pure fuel to leak into the hull around the engine.
    This ski was sold in Australia.
    What made it worse was the fact that I had children riding with me on that ski with the fuel in the hull.
    We could have exploded on the water.
    I only noticed the problem after 2 hrs of riding with the family and my fuel warning came on and when I went to the marina noticed the fuel leak as I went to fill the ski up. We put it on the trailer and about a 15 ltrs of fuel drained out the bung hole into a jerry can.
    This ski was 1 week old with 9 hrs.
    I did some research and a friend in the industry informed me that kawasaki switched to a different tank manufacturer and that these new 09 tanks were splitting.
    My F--king dealer had known about this issue before although he would not admit it even though one of his staff had told me that they had another 09 ski out the back with the same problem but still sold me the ski .
    I rang kawasaki Aust. and they told me that they were aware of the problem but because they had not recalled the 09's the dealers were still able to sell what stock they had.
    So the dealer sold me this f--king dangerous ski .
    This ski had 9 hrs on it and was 1 weeek old and they would not give me a refund .
    I made alot of noise to my dealer kawasaki Aust. and found out that they were working on the issue but could not give me an answer on when my ski would come back.
    I ended up getting an 07 tank and got my dealer to install it under warranty because I did not want to risk putting a modified new tank in it that was not tried and tested.

You have to pull the whole engine out to change the fuel tank in these ski's so it is a major job.
    Someone in Kawasaki should be shot for putting this cheap crap tanks in their 09 models.

No one in Kawasaki could give a dam that I nearly toasted myself and kids that day after many phone calls to them including the head of their warranty department .

Of course they will never admit fault.

I sent letters to them expressing my concerns with the matter and the fact that they have seen this fault with the 09's and that they were still allowing their dealers to sellthese ski's when a few other dealers like Kawasaki Brisbane had taken their 09's off the market till this serious saftey issue was fixed. ( good on you Brisbane kawasaki ) at least I know know that there are some reputable dealers around and they will get my and my many friends who ride ski's hard earned cash now especially in todays economy. Problem with some dealers are that they tell lies to people and what they soon forget is that people are not stupid are usually find things out and let their friends know who in turn let their friends know and it soon spreads like cancer.

You can tell if your 09 model ski has the cheap faulty tank in it by looking at the rubber filler pipe from the cap to the tank.
    The 07, 08 ski's have a flexible part in the rubber and the 09's have a solid piece running down to the tank.

Kawasaki has since recalled the 09 15F's a few weeks ago to fix this issue.
    A bit too slow I think for such a serious saftey concern.

I know problems arise, but the treatment and when speaking to certain people about these issues in kawasaki head office and the warranty department I was made a fool from them , funny that a couple of weeks later they recalled these ski's .
    I will be selling my 15f next summer.Its a shame, it was a fun ski to ride and I was going to get some mod's done to it but after what I went through and all the lies about my issue and reading some of the other issues you guys have like the oil pump failing I just not going to risk it with this brand again .

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and these 09 15f's were sold really cheap this summer and I now know why .

If anyone has an 09 model 15f make sure you get the fuel tank changed otherwise you will have problems and will put yourself at risk.

I know this is a problem with the Australian 15 f's but could also be a tank problem in other countries.

Regards Matt.

my 06 15f has had problems since it left the assembly line. I was tired of dealing with it so I built another engine and swapped it out. I also have 2 2005 15fs and they never have problems.

+1
    mine was not a oil pump failure just a broken bolt and bad luck.
    give me a kawasaki 15f to just about any other ski on the market compared to the other brands in regards to reliability...(but i am watching the sho platform closely..looks good so far)

you got your problem fixed..in the end.
    i would keep the ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information