Good Epoxy to get?

Hey guys... Never had to use Marine Epoxy etc.

Since I am doing the Bilge install, and Hydroturf this weekend, I will need to drill out rivets, and get my bilge cage stuck to the bottom of the hull. Well I don't really have any boat shops out in my area without taking like 45-1hr ride to somewhere near the shore. I was at Cabellas picking up my rule etc. and I asked the guy there if he had any kind of Marine epoxy. He directs me to this stuff.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...09.html?ref=42

Now I don't think that is what I am looking for... Maybe I'm wrong... But I feel like I need something that I can sand down to a smooth finish for the turf end of things. Can anyone confirm for me?

The other thing I was concerned about with drilling out of the rivets, and debris that fall into the hull, could this harm anything? I was thinking of trying to wash the entire inside out and drain it, but I don't want to disturb these items, and then my newly installed bilge sucked them up. I am going to do all the drilled out of the rivets etc, and then get everything to the back of the craft and wet-vac it. What do you think, maybe I'm being too tight with all this?

Thanks as always, and getting there slowly...
    J

You're correct - that sealant is Not what you want. You need a good 2-part epoxy - and I am sure that Lowes or Home Depot have it. I used some Bondo a couple years ago and haven't lost any plugs. I suspect that Bondo will be easier to remove in the future... Ron

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    home depot carries the loctite 2-part MARINE epoxy that will work well for what ur trying to do and hold that bilge pump base in place good.... dual injection tube that automatically dispenses equal parts of the two as you squeeze it... squeeze it out onto plastic dish or cardboard and mix it up.

as for the rivots.. up to u if u push all the rivots thru, or knock the tops off and then leave the rest of it in the hole and epoxy over it. leave the rivot in there stops the epoxy from dripping thru, and the epoxy will stop the rivot from ever dropping out into the hull.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...keywords=epoxy

PC 11 is what I use, does not have iron in it like JB Weld does so it won't rust.

Thanks for the replies guys... On my GTX there is like 100 rivots... Didn't think to leave them in there as an option.... as far as doing that... do I just trash the current stock mats, and go right over the rivots, or do you guys suggest something else? Sorry for these newbie questions.... I rather leave them in place, to create less debris in the hull if at all possible. I like the idea of the Loctite two part or the PC-11.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've done many of exactly what ur working with...

this is what i personally do.. u can do as u please, but i'll outline my process.

what i do is this... get under the mat with a nice flat wide prybar... and just rip the mats up. u wont hurt anything, they'll pop the rivots and rip right up..

now some of the rivot heads will remain... take a flat wide chisel and hammer and wack the tops of the rivots off so they are all flush with the footwell surface.

now i usually just go around and smear a little epoxy on top of each of those rivots... just enough to seal the hole and get on the rest of the rivot that's in the hull and it glues itself to the rivot and hull... they wont drop out. just leave it like that... and put the new mats on right over that.

there's can't be more than like 40-50 them all the way around at most?

did u get the hydroturf with the pre-applied adhesive peel and stick backing? or u need to contact cement everything?

hydroturf i thought usually sent their mats with the epoxy to use on the rivot holes, unles now they charge extra upon request i dont know..

it's not worth drilling them all out and pushing them thru and collecting rivots in the bilge for the next number of years. you will never find them all...

and like i said, leaving them in place leaves a backing for the epoxy to not drip thru

Didnt come with Epoxy, and I have the adhesive on them. Actually have them in between my matress and boxspring to get them nice and flat out the box... I like your ideas and am going to try them as that seems to sound like the best way to get the least amount of debris in the hull.

Got this done today except for applying the Turf....

Some things I found helpful or did differently.

I liked the idea of leaving the rivots in place, so I got the corners up on each piece and just put some man into it and pulled them up... All the rivots stayed.... I cut them down with some dykes, then came back with a carbide tip on a drill and ground them down flush... sanded the area for the Epoxy, Cleaned up, came back with the PC11, dabbed it, then came back and skimmed it, gonna sand off the excess.... Also got my bilge cage in place...

Thanks guys... and Thanks Mark, you the man.

Thread Information