+1

How to Remove / Clean out J-Pipe?

I've been having some problems with my Stage 2 displaying "high exhaust temp" code. I'm told to check the J-Pipe, but haven't the slightest idea of the best way to remove and clean out-

I've searched and haven't found exactly what I was looking for- please help as I need to get this thing ready for Summer.

Thanks

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidbuster View Post
    I've been having some problems with my Stage 2 displaying "high exhaust temp" code. I'm told to check the J-Pipe, but haven't the slightest idea of the best way to remove and clean out-

I've searched and haven't found exactly what I was looking for- please help as I need to get this thing ready for Summer.

Thanks
    take the j-pipe out of the ski... how?

v-band clamp that holds the j-pipe onto the black exhaust manifold... usually a clear rubber hose you need to remove from the clamp threads. it's 10mm... loosen that clamp and remove it

the rubber waterbox strap that holds the waterbox to the hull from bouncing around, remove that..

loosen the hose clamps on the black coupler that holds the j-pipe in the waterbox

now push the whole assembly towards the back of the hull and you can twist the j-pipe to slide out of the waterbox ...if no luck, you can finagle the entire j-pipe/waterbox assembly to come out in one piece and then fight it on the ground to get the j-pipe out of the waterbox

you want to flush out the j-pipe as best you can... rig up a bunch of hoses and caps and plugs and run hot hot hot hot water through it mostly paying attention to the 3 little piss holes at the bottom of the j-pipe... if they are clogged up, take like a paper clip and keep jabbing it in there while the water runs to break up some of the potential sand/salt/debris

worst case scenario is you can take a drill bit and drill those three piss holes one size larger to help pass thru some of the debris

alot of times a EGT code is also simply just a bad sensor on the waterbox... i dont know what code you were getting or if you were getting a high temp message or a 4-digit code?

+1
    ..and don't forget to disconnect the cooling lines on the top and bottom of the J-pipe. They can be disconnected from either the J-pipe or the exhaust manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by vidbuster View Post

Thanks
    I have also heard of the tip of the manifold burning up when running high RPMs (higher than what your set up calls for)

i'm running a stage 1.75 (stage 2 minus intercooler) and my RPMs are safe at 8100. I was running 8200 because of cold weather/ water (Low 50s) and got a high heat light. I kept off of the limiter and stayed at 8100 and haven't had any more issues.

i could be way off, but i'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if so.

i was getting hi temp on my gtx i took off the j pipe and drilled the holes out 2 bit sizes larger no more than that, back flush the i/c still had a hi temp warning took the restricter washer and drilled it out a few size over how large to go depends on weather u have a i/c blead off i dont on my gtx but do on my rxp. keep going a few sizes at a time but dont go to large u could blow a i/c but the only i/c i ever seen go was a rotax plastic i/c

i have had the same problem all what i did i just opened the egt sensors and cleaned it but it back and that is it no problem any more good luck

Thread Information