Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Polaris MSX turbo-RPM wont climb past 1500

I have a 2004 MSX 110. I have installed an out of the water hook up made out of items picked up at Home Depot. It beats trying to find a Polaris hook-up.
    My problem is that I can't get any RPM's past idle. It runs rough and I noticed today that the exhaust water is coming out the jet pump, but I am also seeing water gather in the bilge. I can not locate the origination of the water in the bilge, but it is free running in the bilge when I turn on the water after starting the engine and running at idle. Do I possibly have a cracked block? How can I test it?
    Also, even though I have changed the oil, I am still getting some foaming in my oil reservoir. I suspect some water is getting into oil. It dosent seem to be very much.
    I do not have a history on this machine. It only has 23 hours on it. Any help out there? I am only looking for serious help, not kokes. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by gatormax; 03-26-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added Polaris name to title

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I do not own a Weber engined MSX, but there are other members that do, and can offer good advice.

There are a few maintenance things that are important on the Weber engines, including frequent lubrication of the waste gate shaft, and making sure the oil catch can internal baffle has not become loose.

There is also a gotcha with the oil dipstick levels. As I recall, the Full marking is too high, and filling to the Full level will cause oil to end up in the engine air intake area, where it indeed can cause problems with the sensors and inter-cooler.

The other MSX 110 and MSX 150 owner's may be interested to hear about the advice you received to disconnect the catch can breather tube.

BTW, the MSX 150 has the same engine as the MSX 110, but it has a couple of different components, and is rated for 150HP. All the maintenance aspects are essentially the same between the two.

When it is started while out of the water, the Weber engine can sometimes rev to high RPM levels, since there is no water load on the impeller. When Reverse is engaged, the engine electronically limits itself to 3500RPM, which will prevent possible excess RPM while running out of the water.

If you haven't seen it already, this web site links to some useful Polaris information, including the complete Polaris Service Manual for your MSX 110. This is a rather large PDF file, so it will take a while to download.

If you don't have one, click here for the Owner's manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gatormax View Post
    I have a 2004 MSX 110. I have installed an out of the water hook up made out of items picked up at Home Depot. It beats trying to find a Polaris hook-up.
    My problem is that I can't get any RPM's past idle. It runs rough and I noticed today that the exhaust water is coming out the jet pump, but I am also seeing water gather in the bilge. I can not locate the origination of the water in the bilge, but it is free running in the bilge when I turn on the water after starting the engine and running at idle. Do I possibly have a cracked block? How can I test it?
    Also, even though I have changed the oil, I am still getting some foaming in my oil reservoir. I suspect some water is getting into oil. It doesn't seem to be very much.
    I do not have a history on this machine. It only has 23 hours on it. Any help out there? I am only looking for serious help, not kokes. Thanks!!!
    kokes?

The Weber engine is a closed loop design, so there is coolant with anti-freeze in the engine block. There is a heat exchanger that gets outside water from the jet pump (when the jet pump is running in the water).

I could be wrong, but when the garden hose is connected and running, water should flow out the cooling water inlet (which is in the jet pump), and possibly from the water outlet (which is in the pump tunnel? )

There should be zero water in the oil, of course.

You can run the engine on the hose for a maximum of two minutes at a time. Any longer risks over heating the jet pump bearings and seals, which are normally cooled by the pump water flow.

Can you use a small mirror to see where the water is leaking from the cooling system?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Was the ski winterize? Check the coolent in the system,what is the freeze rating?If you have water coming in with the hose on,check all fitings and clamps,you may have froze and cracked a fitting or the intercooler.

Did you just get the ski?

I think the leak may have been a loose hose fitting. I will check it again today.
    My big concern is the rough idle and the inability to get the rpm's up.
    I have checked everything I can think of. I am wondering if I will need to open up the engine,since I can't find anything wrong on the outside. I changed to oil twice, and continue to get minimal white foaming after running for a short time.

Keddano, Yes I just got the ski. There is a chance that the ski was not winterized properly. What is the process for checking the intercooler? Do I need to remove it?
    Also, has anyone heard that the speedometer wheel must have compressed air blown acroos it to make the ski think it is traveling at least 15 mph before the rpm's will rise above idle speed?
    Last edited by gatormax; 03-26-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added another question

+1
    Have you checked the compression on both cylinders?

not yet. The plugs looked dry with some black. I cleaned the amd replaced. Do you think poor compression could be the prob?

+1
    ...Do you think poor compression could be the prob?
    Compression is one of the basic checks of an engine.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Keddano, Yes I just got the ski. There is a chance that the ski was not winterized properly. What is the process for checking the intercooler? Do I need to remove it?
    Also, has anyone heard that the speedometer wheel must have compressed air blown acroos it to make the ski think it is traveling at least 15 mph before the rpm's will rise above idle speed?
    It's always a possiblity,If the coolent in the closed loop system checks out then the block should be good still. But if the intercooler had water left in it,it could have busted or cracked and would allow water into the oil system. I would say the best thing to do is pull it and take it apart and see if it's loaded up with milkfoam crap. Crazy A I think posted a picture of a intercooler all loaded up. If it's out you should be able to run water into it on low pressure and see if it is leaking out somewhere. It's basiclly like a heater core in a box housing. Service manual should help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information