Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Which oil for GP1300R

All,

Which oil could best be used for the GP1300R ?

I hear ' yamalube' at different places, but these come in
    different sorts (2M, 2S, 2W) .. I don't know what to take.
    For 2M i read it's not recommended for waverunners.

Is a normal 2-stroke oil also ok for GP1300R ?
    What do I have to check for on the bottle???

The 1300 has a digital fuelinjection, does this needs special oil ??

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
    Jac.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joverdijk View Post
    All,

Which oil could best be used for the GP1300R ?

I hear ' yamalube' at different places, but these come in
    different sorts (2M, 2S, 2W) .. I don't know what to take.
    For 2M i read it's not recommended for waverunners.

Is a normal 2-stroke oil also ok for GP1300R ?
    What do I have to check for on the bottle???

The 1300 has a digital fuelinjection, does this needs special oil ??

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
    Jac.

Welcome to GH!
    This is a very opinionated topic. Many different threads on this exact topic. Try the search function.

Lets start out stock ski, factory recommended oil is Yamalube 2W.

There are a few recommended 2 stroke oils to use when you remove your catalitic converter. (Amsoil, Klotz, Penzoil)

Yes you need special oil - just any 2 stroke oil will not work

My ski is completely stock, and want to keep it that way for now.

So, Yamalube 2-W is recommended. You say special oil is needed, not any 2-stroke oil will do.

In what is this 'special' .. What do i have to check on other 2-stroke oil bottle's to check if it will be good for my ski. Low/no ash residu etc?

I'm not in for top-performance/speed whatever, i just want the best for the motor to keep it from damaging/breaking down.

By the way, what happens when using the 'wrong' 2-stroke oil ?? I always though 2-stroke oil is 2-stroke oil.
    Is there something special with the gp1300r engine which requires different stuff?

+1
    My ski is completely stock, and want to keep it that way for now.

So, Yamalube 2-W is recommended. You say special oil is needed, not any 2-stroke oil will do.

In what is this 'special' .. What do i have to check on other 2-stroke oil bottle's to check if it will be good for my ski. Low/no ash residu etc?

I'm not in for top-performance/speed whatever, i just want the best for the motor to keep it from damaging/breaking down.

By the way, what happens when using the 'wrong' 2-stroke oil ?? I always though 2-stroke oil is 2-stroke oil.
    Is there something special with the gp1300r engine which requires different stuff?
    Not any 2 stroke oil will provide the protection you need. These ski's are very sensitive to bad gas, bad oil. Saving a couple bucks is not worth risking your motor.

If your stock your fine sticking with Yamalube. Your cat con will fail sooner or later and then you can replace the cat con with a dplate. And then use Amsoil or Klotz. I used it for 26 hours and I am now switching to Amsoil as I mod my ski.

What year is your ski? There are some must do mods you should know about. PUMP TUNNEL REINFORCEMENT is one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    Not any 2 stroke oil will provide the protection you need. These ski's are very sensitive to bad gas, bad oil. Saving a couple bucks is not worth risking your motor.

If your stock your fine sticking with Yamalube. Your cat con will fail sooner or later and then you can replace the cat con with a dplate. And then use Amsoil or Klotz. I used it for 26 hours and I am now switching to Amsoil as I mod my ski.

What year is your ski? There are some must do mods you should know about. PUMP TUNNEL REINFORCEMENT is one of them...
    It's a 2006 (black/yellow). Bought it 2nd hand from a trader, so I don't know the history of the ski and possible mods.. It has 24 hours on it.
    I've seen the throttle-cable recall message, but nothing else.

How can i check if the pump tunnel has been reinforced, and is this absolutely a must / known issue which i will run into??
    Additionally, how can i reinforce the pump tunnel. Are there any partnumbers i have to get a hold of, what is procedure
    to do this etc... Sorry for the newby questions, this is my first recent yamaha pwc. Had a old lady Polaris before this beast

+1
    It's a 2006 (black/yellow). Bought it 2nd hand from a trader, so I don't know the history of the ski and possible mods.. It has 24 hours on it.
    I've seen the throttle-cable recall message, but nothing else.

How can i check if the pump tunnel has been reinforced, and is this absolutely a must / known issue which i will run into??
    The GP1300R is a great ski, good choice. You have to remove the battery box to see the pump tunnel. On a lot of GPR's the pump tunnel will crack under pressure/time and then you risk sinking the ski. One of the few week links of the GPR.

Just my 2 cents.

Do the following mods (easy and cheap)

D-plate
    reinforce pump tunnel
    seal the pump shoe
    add a couple washers to the front of the stock plate for a little more angle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's GPR View Post
    The GP1300R is a great ski, good choice. You have to remove the battery box to see the pump tunnel. On a lot of GPR's the pump tunnel will crack under pressure/time and then you risk sinking the ski. One of the few week links of the GPR.

Just my 2 cents.

Do the following mods (easy and cheap)

D-plate
    reinforce pump tunnel
    seal the pump shoe
    add a couple washers to the front of the stock plate for a little more angle
    I've taken a look on the pictures on the reinforce pump tunnel. This does really look like something i CANNOT do myself I'm not technical
    and will sh## my pants when i have to drill holes and take stuff apart

But what you are saying, when keeping my ski completely stock, it will most likely to break apart and sink?

+1
    I've taken a look on the pictures on the reinforce pump tunnel. This does really look like something i CANNOT do myself I'm not technical
    and will sh## my pants when i have to drill holes and take stuff apart

But what you are saying, when keeping my ski completely stock, it will most likely to break apart and sink?
    No, I'm not saying that. Completely stock you should be fine. Cracks in the pump tunnel have happened in stock skis, but it is not as common as in modified skis. The stock GP1300R is very reliable and an awesome ski. Just make sure you put in the recommended or better oil!

Yamalube 2S is good "cheap" oil (never used 2W). I've run it (mainly its equivalents) for years, and never had an oil related failure. I've run it in 8500 rpm snowmobile motors that have a much higher specific output than a ski. These motors had exhaust valves, and I rarely ever had to clean them (when jetted properly). Sure, there are arguably better oils out there, but to say that 2S won't protect a stock 1300 is just wrong.

BTW, Yamalube 2S meets both of the latest ISO and JASO requirements for 2 stroke oil. Rarely have I ever seen a failure that could be attributed to "bad" oil, be it mineral, bled, or synthetic...there is only one make I've ever seen actually blamed for bearing failures. Too many people feel like they have to have the latest and greatest high dollar synthetic oil to keep their rec motor safe, and thats really not the case.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Yamalube 2S is good "cheap" oil (never used 2W). I've run it (mainly its equivalents) for years, and never had an oil related failure. I've run it in 8500 rpm snowmobile motors that have a much higher specific output than a ski. These motors had exhaust valves, and I rarely ever had to clean them (when jetted properly). Sure, there are arguably better oils out there, but to say that 2S won't protect a stock 1300 is just wrong.

BTW, Yamalube 2S meets both of the latest ISO and JASO requirements for 2 stroke oil. Rarely have I ever seen a failure that could be attributed to "bad" oil, be it mineral, bled, or synthetic...there is only one make I've ever seen actually blamed for bearing failures. Too many people feel like they have to have the latest and greatest high dollar synthetic oil to keep their rec motor safe, and thats really not the case.
    I disagree.....
    For a GP1300R in stock form the Yamalube 2S oil or ash related oils will cause the catalytic converter to clog and fail. That is why you can't use it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information