Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Built a Gas Rack

Well, my little river ride with smokewagon made it clear to me that I needed more range on the T-X. Alot more range. So I did a little research and decided to try my hand at pvc construction. I built a rack that will hold two 5 gallon gas jugs and a medium sized cooler for those longer runs. This should give me a range of 125-130 miles if I behave myself. I also built in a few rod holders that can be capped off when not in use. I'm not totally finished but it is taking shape nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 001.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	856.8 KB 
ID:	123087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 002.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	662.7 KB 
ID:	123088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 004.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	808.3 KB 
ID:	123089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 011.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	790.2 KB 
ID:	123091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 014.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	760.6 KB 
ID:	123092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasRack 016.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	123093  

+1
    looks good. how do you plan to secure it to the ski?

+1
    With tie downs. Ratchet straps. I'm going to pad the bottom tubing with foam tubing so it won't scratch the gel-coat.

+1
    Ok, cool. If you can, put some pictures up when your done, I've thought about doing a cooler rack before.

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Well, my little river ride with smokewagon made it clear to me that I needed more range on the T-X. Alot more range. So I did a little research and decided to try my hand at pvc construction. I built a rack that will hold two 5 gallon gas jugs and a medium sized cooler for those longer runs. This should give me a range of 125-130 miles if I behave myself. I also built in a few rod holders that can be capped off when not in use. I'm not totally finished but it is taking shape nicely.
    I love the idea and since I work with PVC all the time, I can tell you that you did a freakin GREAT job. Its not easy getting all the spacing.

HOWEVER, I will say that it is probably overkill. If you do a search for "Gus13letter"....he has a cooler mounted on his ski...came like that. He has two flush mounted brackets (about 1/2" by 2") that have a threaded hole in top. When he carries the cooler, he screws in 2 eye-hooks, latches the cooler to the deck...never moves. When done, unscrews the eye hooks.

You could probably do the same thing with WIDER flush mount holders....single tie-down up and over the gas cans and a second on from front to back over the cooler. I know your idea will work...but just seems like a lot more to secure and worry about.
    Last edited by BartenderSmalley; 03-26-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: correction....

+1
    True, but this way I'm not drilling or screwing or bolting anything to my ski and it can pull double duty in the back of my truck. Plus it's got built in rod holders for going after the big one.

+1
    omg, flashback...
    erector set hell!!!!!! hope you worked in a well ventilated area with all that primer and glue.
    otherwise you just huffed away a few million braincells.
    looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Oldgoat, Nice rig anyways, do a search on a Green Hulk member "Mitch Ochoa". They go Island hopping and You'll fall in love with his backyard........Pacific Ocean. they carry extra GoGo juice all the time. Man, your pretty good at PVC

+1
    Thanks Jammer. It took some thought and my next one will be better. There is definitely a learning curve with pvc. But the cost is relatively cheap and it's like lincoln logs. You can build whatever your imagination can think up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    omg, flashback...
    erector set hell!!!!!! hope you worked in a well ventilated area with all that primer and glue.
    otherwise you just huffed away a few million braincells.
    looks good though.
    LOL, I did the glueing on my deck out back and my eyes were still burning like hell. And I only got thru about 1/4 of the joints. Fixing to go out back and huff some more.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information