Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'05 Pump Upgarade On '01 GPR Driveshaft ?

I remember this being discussed within the last few weeks, have done all kinds of differently worded searches, can't find.
    Had local Yamaha dealer press out my driveshaft and install the '05 stater and Dynafly. Stater seemed kinda tight, would barely spin, dealer told me it should be alright. Installed and motor won't turn over it's so tight. Pulled it back apart and am hoping you guys (gurus) can help me. Please!

+1
    ck your PM

Hey raystownlake me and several of my buddys are going to be at the lake on saturday. Would you or anyone else be riding there maybe we could hook up.

John, unless I get my bearings loosened up I won't be riding any time soon. I usually stay away from the lake, on my ski, on weekends, especially holday weekends. It can get pretty nuts out there.
    Where do you put in? What are you riding? How often do you come up this way?
    Can't believe I ran into someone else on this forum that goes to Raystown.

+1
    here is the 2005 conversion information:

http://www.greenhulk.net/yamaha/viewtopic.php?t=486

Abbott, saw that post but it has no mention of the problem I'm having with tight bearing or seals. I've already got all the parts and they're ready to install. The shaft is tight in the '05 stater.

I will be there 3 or 6 times this year. I will be there June 23 thru 30th, Also July 14 thru 16th for sure and this saturday. I have a 01 GPR and the red 05 RXP. I agree the weekends can be a little crazy but thats when the big boats come out to play and I love jumping wake. This will be my first weekend out with my Triple piper that i just put together. Problem is for some reason the second cylinder is warmer than 1 and 2 so I am going to check a couple more things tonight so I may not be riding it for long. I just did the 05 pump as well and used a press to put mine together everything worked well the only thing i could think might be wrong with your is did they press on both the inner and outer part of the bearing if not they may have pushed your bearing apart. I also only use the internet at work. So here is my cell # 443-277-1078 give me a ring and maybe we will be able to meet at the lake some time as of now it will be 6 skis this weekend but weve had as many as 16 one of my friends has the triiton 4 ski trailor and its full. Seeya

Take it back to the dealer that did it and have them fix it! It should spin freely and they definently did something wrong.

Thanks for the help, guys. All the gurus on this site and others, ahem, have been so helpful.
    Here's the latest. I tried Chris(WFO) method to enable the shaft to spin free to no avail, even talked to him on the phone-thanks for the help and advise Chris. Talked to Carl (where I got the '05 upgrade) he said remove the cone and tap on the driveshaft with a brass hammer to drive the shaft back towards the impellor. Originally my clearance between the impellor and the stator was .013 after a few hits with the hammer it was .030 and seemed to be bottomed out. It did spin a little more easily, so I put it in the boat, still no go. I'm kinda reluctant to take it back to the dealer since they f'ed this up in the first place.
    Thoughts?
    John we'll definately hook up sometime this summer, I'll give you a call. I usually ride with a buddy that has a '99 Ultra 150.

+1
    you can spin it by hand, but the motor won't turn it ?

check and make sure the impeller is not in a bind in the wear ring (pump liner) when you install it

Also, bump check the motor w/o the pump in, just to see if it turns over with the pump out.

If you can spin the pump by hand, but it feels kinda tight, it should eventually loosen up some after it runs the first 30 minutes under a load I would think.

I think the impeller may be in a bind when you install the the pump/impeller assembly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information