Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fried VTS

+1

Fried VTS

So while I was removing the resonator and looking for anything to remove to gain some room, I took off the VTS cover and to my surprise a ton of water poured out. Well thats the reason nothing was displaying on my gauges and the vts was not working. And the cause is the rubber boot as this happened in my old 95 XP years back.

My question is, can the internal metal part and motor as seen in the pic be replaced or am I looking at replacing the whole unit?? This is on a 04 RXP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0326092306-00.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	123237  

+1
    replacing the whole unit. i had same thing happen. from factory the rubber boot wasnt in place properly and well, mine looked exactly like that. found out also, what may too be a problem not at the moment seen, is that the fuse might have blown for the vts. check that out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    So while I was removing the resonator and looking for anything to remove to gain some room, I took off the VTS cover and to my surprise a ton of water poured out. Well thats the reason nothing was displaying on my gauges and the vts was not working. And the cause is the rubber boot as this happened in my old 95 XP years back.

My question is, can the internal metal part and motor as seen in the pic be replaced or am I looking at replacing the whole unit?? This is on a 04 RXP
    If I tell you this, You would think I am a nut case That motor is almost the same as an electric 12 volt power car window motor that makes your window goes up and down. You have a water leak. (ya think?) anyways clean the whole thing and test it. I woulden't be surprise if the motor works I'll tell ya in the next post how to solve that problem forever

Quote Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
    replacing the whole unit. i had same thing happen. from factory the rubber boot wasnt in place properly and well, mine looked exactly like that. found out also, what may too be a problem not at the moment seen, is that the fuse might have blown for the vts. check that out too.
    You seem to be where the problem is LOL! are you sure youre not working for commission?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
    where is that fuse located??

I will pull the whole unit this weekend and test the motor but I doubt as about 3 cups of water poured out of it and the ski sat all winter long.

I see on e-bay they sell the motor and gear box, would that work or does water get into the black casing where the circuit board is?? IT looks sealed to be except for the wires running to it.

+1
    I have replaced VTS motors a few times, very carefully sealed up the boot, the motor, put a small drain hole in the plastic case at the very bottom to allow water to drain, etc. So I am interested in how to solve this problem forever ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    If I tell you this, You would think I am a nut case That motor is almost the same as an electric 12 volt power car window motor that makes your window goes up and down. You have a water leak. (ya think?) anyways clean the whole thing and test it. I woulden't be surprise if the motor works I'll tell ya in the next post how to solve that problem forever

+1
    me too but the problem is the rubber boot leaking on the outside of the hull. Only tip I got that seems to be working on my GSX is to pack the boot with grease on the install. No leaks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I have replaced VTS motors a few times, very carefully sealed up the boot, the motor, put a small drain hole in the plastic case at the very bottom to allow water to drain, etc. So I am interested in how to solve this problem forever ....
    Hi, Vern I have not yet replaced 1. I got lucky I caught the faulty design during the before Race and after race tear down. I inspected the whole part and sad to say it will fail. Mine did not failed but got lucky I only had rust outside the housing and I was able to clean it off. I tested it up and down with direct contact 12 volts, reverse the polarity from + to - and your done. hook it up with the RXP and tested once more with the RXP complete harness A O K Now here is the answer to your ?....I have to pack the whole VTS air space with grease. The principle of this theory is that 1 there is no strong water PSI on that area, So to solve the problem I used the rules of Displacement technique. It's messy at first, but as soon as you closed the lid and clean around the area, I bet you, it will run forever although there is no such thing as "forever" Rules of dissplacement in Jammer 1's mind. An area can not be ocuppied by Air, corrossion, etc., etc... if the said "space" is already occupied Vern, packed it up with Grease untill it ozzzoo out. water will not go in.

+1

Talking Tanks, tanks alot!

Ahh, makes sense and I agree. I will pack that bitch full of grease into every nook and cranny before I hit the water this year. Thanks Jammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Ahh, makes sense and I agree. I will pack that bitch full of grease into every nook and cranny before I hit the water this year. Thanks Jammer!
    Vern, don't thank me...instead let me thank you for all the help you posted here that makes sense and is right. I thank You. I have learned a lot from your post. I followed all your post, If you speak , I listen Your 1 of the pillars that holds Green Hulk straight up Anyways, that theory that I applied on my RXP came from my "Problem Child".....He thinks his a ski but...... Greasing up his distributor makes him think he can cross any deep water River crossing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information