Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

500 wavejammer questions

I just picked up a old wavejammer for real cheap. I now have the great idea to try to race it haha. There is the DSJA racing legue in northern CA that is a run what you brung type of racing. I hope to run in the x2-blaster class. I am trying to at least do the small stuff to the ski to make it as fast as a 500 will go. I got a good prop from impros. I got the flywheel shaved down. I am going to get the head shaved down. I plan on rebuilding with weisco pistons and changing out the reeds also. I dont think there is anyone that I have ever herd of that could port this motor. The last issue is the carb. The stock 34 bn is just not going to cut it. I dont know to go with the 38 sbn or should I try to run a good 44 on it like a novi or full spec? Any other ideas?

use an sbn off a later 500 its a much better carb the protec cdi with limiter mod is your best bet.. the grate:.. get a jetdynamics scoop if glenn still has one .. plate: get the ocean pro.. its longer and has the fins.. the impeller :solas or scat.. head can be shaved .030 with out worry of squish band issues ..porting: wouldnt be much more than a raise and match up of the exhaust window and clean up the exhaust runners (lots of miss match thru the castings ).... get more over board drains off the head, 500s run hot when you rail the piss out of them...reeds:find the unsplit boysens... clean up the crank case of flash and mismatches in the sleeve and make it flow better: change your bildge to a pump, seal the pump off and fill the plate venturi... call protec see if carl still has the oversize bowl for the pump..find a protec pipe for the wr500, you will have to modify the wj hull to use it...find the cone extender from hot products

sorry this is all over the place, its off the cuff.. about all i can think of
    I have heard about guys forming and racing the 500's in their own class.. good luck!!

Wow! I had no idea there was this much aftermarket stuff out there for this thing. I guess now I have to go start hunting for it. Would you happen to know anyone that knows this motor good and would port it and clean the case up for me? I dont trust myslef yet.

no one touches those that i know of.. only limited stuff was available new when i started collecting wr/wj stuff ....nedless to say, ebay will be your friend..

Let the hunting begin! Thanks for giving me some hope in parts out there.

I had seen some aftermarket head on a 500 before made by Jet Speed but never seen one for sale. What compression range am I looking at with going .030 off the head? One of the biggest things I was planning on doing for performance was getting the compression up to around 210 and running 105 octane gas if I picked up a super BN but I dont know if these motors could handle the compression. That would give me the most bottom end bang for the buck I would think.

this is where you may find these goodies

adj cdi limiter and bowl..new / protec- talk to carl brown about the cdi mod.. bowl may not be available anymore
    grate ... new /jet dynamics.. second choice 2 bar jet lyne used /ebay
    impellar.. new/use solas or scat-limited new mostly ebay ,talk to a bender they may be able to get you one or bend what you have
    plate.. new/ ocean pro- ebay about once a month
    cone extender.. new / hot products - carl at island
    single f/a w adapter.. new / your choice or ocean pro direct bolt on - new ebay, usually fairly cheap
    reeds.. new boysens -ebay once again
    flywheel : stocker cut - your good to go..
    head.. milled .030 max no need to cut squish ..race fuel at least 93 or more
    pipe.. used/ protec- like gold!!! in four years ive seen 3.. ebay, also you must get the adapter exhaust plate with it to use it

i have never know of a jet speed..
    your issue will be to find a pipe.. the motor is pretty much a yamaha,mariner or mercury 30 hp power head, layed flat.. it will take rpm and compression.. the crank is a press pin ,IMO will need welding to run that pressure.. protec say it does t/w on twins as well as tripples.. the sbn should have no issues thou you may find a larger venturi R carb with the right flange size and exact bore to match the manifold..( i have a race gray body that's the perfect match) it was designed as a 650 aftermarket..

I found a pro tec intake grate for a wr500 is the grate ok or hold out for the other two that you named?

the pro tec and jet lyne are real close... buy it if its cheap..as you can never tell on availabilitys of ebay stuff ..the j/dynamics you will have to prob buy new as its a very special design and its fairly expensive...you will find more kawi stuff from j/dynamics on line ebay, than yami stuff..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information