Exclamation need some help/ impeller damage

I was out on a different lake today to get my first GPS results. The docks were all retracted so i had to get it close to shore to get the trailer off of the ramp.

After i parked the current had moved my ski close to the shore. I thought i had it in deep enough water when i started her up but did not and sucked some rocks into the impeller.

i took the grate, pump housing, and everything off and could not find any debris, although i did pull one decent sized rock out of the nozzle before i left the lake.

the impeller is pretty banged up, but their is no damage to anything else. At least not that i can see.

how much can some gouges affect RPM and power? after pulling the one rock i could see out, the boat ran like shit and was reving up very fast but not accelerating like normal. Also the RPMs got up to 8250, but the lake water was also 50-52 degrees.

should i be worried about anything else in the drive line?

can i have the prop resurfaced/ repaired?

please let me know some things i should check for, this is the first problem i have ever had with my skis and i'd like to make sure i cover all of my bases.

It sounds like you will need to get the impeller refinished and a new wear ring. About $150 total if you do the work... Ron

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Prop damage can and will affect your performance.....You'd actually be amazed how much a millimeter here and there can knock you off.....

IMPROS I know used to repair props (had them do a couple and they did good work). If it's minor repairs it's a far cheaper option than buying a new prop and you'll never even be able to tell they did anything to it.....They can even handle some pretty majore damage....re-welding, etc.....

I'd check your stator veins as well.....A chunk knocked out of one of those can cause major problems as well.....especially in regards to cavitation......

Eyeball your wear ring for any gouging also....Don't know if you're still on a plastic ring or have a SS one but if plastic it very likely took a hit too....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zerowake View Post
    I was out on a different lake today to get my first GPS results. The docks were all retracted so i had to get it close to shore to get the trailer off of the ramp.

After i parked the current had moved my ski close to the shore. I thought i had it in deep enough water when i started her up but did not and sucked some rocks into the impeller.

i took the grate, pump housing, and everything off and could not find any debris, although i did pull one decent sized rock out of the nozzle before i left the lake.

the impeller is pretty banged up, but their is no damage to anything else. At least not that i can see.

how much can some gouges affect RPM and power? after pulling the one rock i could see out, the boat ran like shit and was reving up very fast but not accelerating like normal. Also the RPMs got up to 8250, but the lake water was also 50-52 degrees.

should i be worried about anything else in the drive line?

can i have the prop resurfaced/ repaired?

please let me know some things i should check for, this is the first problem i have ever had with my skis and i'd like to make sure i cover all of my bases.
    You will prob need a new wear ring. for a start. then your best bet would be send your prop off to a pro and have it repaired and re pitched.

I think that every1 hsas done this at some point me included.

Alsways check your depth of water, if your not sure get off the ski and find out. I will never start my ski in less than thigh high water or about 3 foot. Also any1 that rides my ski getts warned that if they suck up stones then they will be writing me a check for 300 quid. That gets there respect imediatly n then they dont take the pi$$. R88

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    You will prob need a new wear ring. for a start. then your best bet would be send your prop off to a pro and have it repaired and re pitched.

I think that every1 hsas done this at some point me included.

Alsways check your depth of water, if your not sure get off the ski and find out. I will never start my ski in less than thigh high water or about 3 foot. Also any1 that rides my ski getts warned that if they suck up stones then they will be writing me a check for 300 quid. That gets there respect imediatly n then they dont take the pi$$. R88

thanks for the help guys. i did now i was shallow but im used to running in a lake that has a really fine sediment/ muddy bed. i should have been much more carefull This lake must have been a frikin quarry at one time!

any recomendations on who to do the prop? it is a brand new (less than 5 hours) solas.

Also i am running a plastic wear ring. I went over it many times and could not find extensive damage, but i still haven't pulled the prop from the pump housing and ring because i don't have the tool yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc7897 View Post
    Prop damage can and will affect your performance.....You'd actually be amazed how much a millimeter here and there can knock you off.....

IMPROS I know used to repair props (had them do a couple and they did good work). If it's minor repairs it's a far cheaper option than buying a new prop and you'll never even be able to tell they did anything to it.....They can even handle some pretty majore damage....re-welding, etc.....

I'd check your stator veins as well.....A chunk knocked out of one of those can cause major problems as well.....especially in regards to cavitation......

Eyeball your wear ring for any gouging also....Don't know if you're still on a plastic ring or have a SS one but if plastic it very likely took a hit too....
    are the stator veins the fins or blades on the housing? ir are they the blades build into the nozzle? either way they are all in great shape with not a single knick. thank god. I have nozzle and housing dismanteled and can't find any other damage aside from the prop. guess i got off easy on this one. relatively speaking

+1
    you got any pics and can tell you more.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    you got any pics and can tell you more.
    i'll try to post on saturday. i think i will pull the ride plate and true up while i have the housing out. the prop isn't torn to shit, but it has some gouges for sure. brand new prop too. damn.

Thread Information