Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Virage TX repair.........Or not.......

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forums, found you guys while searching for info on some engine trouble I'm having. You all have a lot of good info here, I've been reading for hours.

I have a 2000 Virage TX 1200. Number 1 & 3 pistons have melted, not completely there are no holes, but some material has gone into the lower end. I do not know the reason this happened. I'm told it possibly went lean from carb issues or an air leak. I'm debating whether this ski is worth fixing seeing how the NADA value is $1200-$1500 with trailer. I priced new engine from SBC it's $1200 + shipping. Add the labor + a few other additional items that I'm sure would be needed and the repair bill starts to get way up there. Just to re-do the top end (with jug machining) will run $600-$700. After repairing it either way I still wouldn't know if the CAUSE of the problem was repaired without doing additional work.

My question is... Would anyone recommend putting the money in this ski? From what I'm reading on these forums and elsewhere, these aren't the most reliable ski's to have anyhow. I'm leaning towards not fixing it, but would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this repair issue. If junking it is the best option, would it be worth the effort to part it out?

If I junk it, there are actually a couple ideas I've had in the back of my head for some time.......
    1) I have always wanted to gut one out, clean up/paint the engine compartment and use it as a dock cooler.
    2) Strip the old riding mower down to the frame and mount the ski's gutted out body on it.....Wouldn't the neighbors be impressed to see you cut your grass on one of these hybrid pwc mowers? They definitely would if you wore your life vest.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations on whether the ski is worth repairing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Were you riding this Virage TX before the engine problem occurred? Did you enjoy riding it?

NADA doesn't tell the whole story with value. PWC are an investment in your personal riding pleasure, more than a financial investment.

I see you have older Yamaha and SeaDoo listed in your profile. The Virage is one of the lighter, and more nimble, of the 3 seat PWC designs available. The power of the 1200 engine Virage TX makes it fast.

Being the Polaris enthusiast forum on Green Hulk, many of those around here would rather see your Virage TX get pack on the water, rather than being parted out and destroyed.

Would you be willing to do the repair work yourself? Paying a shop to repair the engine does increase the total cost, of course.

If you post some photos here, we may be able to help you diagnose the level of damage, and the repairs that will be needed.

Are you sure there is metal debris in the crank case?

I imagine you have found it by now, but just in case, here is the link to Polaris Service Manuals, and other useful info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suumz View Post
    2) Strip the old riding mower down to the frame and mount the ski's gutted out body on it......
    Now that would be cool.

+1
    Don't go by NADA guide they are waaaay off in value price. Kelly Blue Book is far more accurate! KBB does a far better job of market research than NADA...and NADA has issues with Polaris the company...tending to give their products a lesser value than what they are really worth...long story. Anyway, good condition and running Virage TX is worth $3200 plus or minus...not including trailer. Personally I would fix it.

Just another day trying to break all the rules! drbones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Don't go by NADA guide they are waaaay off in value price. Kelly Blue Book is far more accurate! KBB does a far better job of market research than NADA...and NADA has issues with Polaris the company...tending to give their products a lesser value than what they are really worth...long story. Anyway, good condition and running Virage TX is worth $3200 plus or minus...not including trailer. Personally I would fix it.

The other big ? to ask yourself about re-build is what water set-up for better handling to do!

Virage Tx is more river PWC as is! If you hop up this craft; you need to make different changes for different water rides!

For river riding!
    #1 change to 6* wedge for instant 2-5 mph increase!
    #2 change sponsons to either Beach House(set to middle and as low as
    possible or Hot Seat! (Locks the Tx onto the water for incredible
    turning accuracy!)
    #3 change prop to better match engine built and topend speed!
    (Stock nujet 707 on ski is OK for light HP build but with more HP
    suggest 17/22 or 17/24 swirl Skat trak prop!
    MAX TOP SPEED = 13/24 superslim Skat trak)
    #4 Add ATT (adjust-a-thrust) pump nozzle attachment (1-2 mph gain)

Now on anything over 2 ft chop!
    #1 OP oceanPro ride plate if chop waves if more than 6-10 ft apart
    (Otherwise keep polaris bat-wing ride plate and shim up trailing end
    1/4-3/8")
    #2 Change to 12 vane pump will stay hooked up better with less loss of
    speed!
    #3 change sponsons again either Beach House(set far back and low as
    possible) or Hot Seat
    #4 Add ATT (adjust-a-thrust) pump nozzle attachment (this appt will
    keep pump loaded between jumps so you don't spin your prop!)

Welcome to Green Hulk Summz! you fould the best place to get help for your re-build!

Oh! before I forget think twice before buying from SBC!!!

I would post some pics but still having problems with my account!

Green Hulk site admins!!

drbones, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. You need at least 20 posts before you can use the classified section. Please participate in the forum and don't email me about this.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.