Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski wont start

Ski wont start

So a few weeks ago While on the lake I shut the ski down to talk to a friend in the water, went to hit the start button and all you heard was a single click. Pulled the seat off and nothing looks abnormal but still all you hear is a single click, if you feel the starter relay you can tell that it is what is clicking. I believe beerdart was having the exact same issues and he tore his relay apart rebuilt and it worked. I did the same and still just a click, I just got back from spending $50.00 on a new relay hoping that was the issue and well it wasnt. With the key in, if i jump the 2 terminals on the relay all I get are sparks no starter firing. What would be the next thing to look for?? would it be the starter itself? If so how do I go about getting the starter off does it really require pulling the whole motor??

-david

The first thing that I would check is to see if you can spin the motor by hand with the plugs out to make sure the engine or pump is not binding. Then I would try spinning it with the starter. Starters can get a bad spot on them and once off that spot they will work again until they land on the bad spot on the commutator again... Ron

I have same issue, how do you spin it by hand....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxdude View Post
    I have same issue, how do you spin it by hand....
    Take the cone of the back of the pump by removing the 3 little allen key bolts Fit a 12 mm allen key socket in the back of the pump and turn it with 12" extenion and wrench.

still no luck, I pulled everything off and yes you can spin the motor by hand, went back to the starter and still nothing just a click. Any more ideas?? I need this fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    still no luck, I pulled everything off and yes you can spin the motor by hand, went back to the starter and still nothing just a click. Any more ideas?? I need this fixed!
    Try this 1. put the key on the lanyard, like normal and ready to start and go. Take the red wire of the relay that goes to the starter and direct that straight to the positive end of battery. post back what happens. If the starter cranks, it means the starter is good. To be honest, I think you just have a loose connection or a bad battery. Some batteries can fool you. is when you test them for the cranking scenario is where they can not fool you. post back

Ok so the positive lead off the battery is not long enough to reach the battery, so what I did was I disconnected both leads off the relay, put the key in and touched the 2 leads together, essentially creating one long lead to the starter from the battery. Results were nothing, all that occured was sparking when the 2 leads touched.

Check all the grounds for corrosion, they might not look corroded but they still can be. Use your dvom's to check resistance and voltage drops across connections.

which connections are you suggesting would have corrosion?

+1
    Engine grounds are the most common.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information