ULTRA 150 Reliability

Starting this thread, because I have an 99 ultra 150 and after looking on ebay, and other sites I have seen ALOT of 150s with blown engines, what causes this? Some say oil lines, or engine was not getting any oil.....What seems to fail ? oil lines, pump? I would like to know from the ultra 150 guys, is there a routine checkup that you all do to prevent this or do you replace pumps, or lines yearly?? I am about to take mine out of storage and start to use it, but am wondering should I replace this stuff?? I love my ultra150, and want to keep everything working properly, and by all means keep the oil flowing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra150JCT View Post
    Starting this thread, because I have an 99 ultra 150 and after looking on ebay, and other sites I have seen ALOT of 150s with blown engines, what causes this? Some say oil lines, or engine was not getting any oil.....What seems to fail ? oil lines, pump? I would like to know from the ultra 150 guys, is there a routine checkup that you all do to prevent this or do you replace pumps, or lines yearly?? I am about to take mine out of storage and start to use it, but am wondering should I replace this stuff?? I love my ultra150, and want to keep everything working properly, and by all means keep the oil flowing.
    The ultra is a reliable ski like any other ski just as long as you up keep them. Ill give you a lil run through I did with my ultra. Btw mine is also a 99.
    1) oil lines will a do crack check them. If they look sketchy change them.
    2) Also check the throttle/oil pump cable. It is one cable that branches off into a Y configuration. I found that my oil cable was frayed at the bottom I changed it befor any serious engine damage happined.
    3) Check you pump bearings, these things go.
    4) make sure to use the correct spark plugs that are needed. If you dont use the correct plugs you will mess the engine up. The plug number is located on the flame arrestor cover. Plugs suck tho there 20 bucks each!
    5) Dont pull the oil pump off leave it, on this ski your better off having it because then you have to run some Y configuration of oillines on the motor. JUST LEAVE IT!
    6) Check both electrical boxes, make sure theres no rust in there. I had to replace the solinoid an the voltage regulator in the rear electrical box by the battery. Kept goin into limp mod an reading hot. When non of this was occuring.
    7) Check the elbow brass fittings onthe cooling head they tend to clog. I never had this problem befor but thought this was the case when i get getting the hot lamp.

If i missed anything ppl chime in..

WOW! Great info, thanks alot....I went ahead and ordered all the oil lines, and also the oil pump cable, I figured that it being a 99, and dont know if they ever been replaced, I thought it would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra150JCT View Post
    WOW! Great info, thanks alot....I went ahead and ordered all the oil lines, and also the oil pump cable, I figured that it being a 99, and dont know if they ever been replaced, I thought it would be a good idea.
    With that kind of attitude, you will have a very reliable Ultra!

Also check the motor mounts by trying to lift the engine at each of the THREE (?) mounts (every other ski I have had takes four!)

I had to replace all of them.

+1
    I've found my Ultra to be very reliable (now I'm jinxing myself).

I installed primers, so it starts instantly. This should greatly improve starter life.

I changed the oil lines last year. They seemed to be in good shape, but hey, they were 9 years old!

The cable for the oil pump was badly frayed. The replacement I got from Kawasaki was bad, it had several broken strands right out of the package. I sent it back and got a good one. If you install a new one, inspect it very carefully! If I remember right, a broken cable on the Ultra will make it go to full oil injection, so it shouldn't burn it up.

I installed triple pissers, so I can monitor cooling for each cylinder. I also installed a strainer in the inlet cooling line to keep trash out of the cooling system. I think this is very important!

I had the pump overhauled and blueprinted by Skiworx a couple of years ago. The bearings don't hold up very long on these.

I keep a battery charger with a timer on it whenever I'm not using it. I charge it about 15 minutes per day. I cranked it up for the first time this year yesterday. It fired right off after about 2 revolutions. By the way, this is the original 1999 battery!

I just changed the engine mounts out in mine yesterday. It didn't need them--yet, but I do a lot of jumping, etc. and it wasn't worth the risk of having the engine come loose and tear up the drive coupling.

I plan to do a top overhaul in the fall. I have about 165 hours on it, and it seems that 200 hours is about the most you'll get out of one of these before you catch a piston ring or something.

I've done a few other things, Stinger mod, replaced the gas spring for the front hatch with a decent stainless steel one, etc.

One more thing: take out your multifunction display and seal the port where the wires go in with 3M 5200. There is a rubber seal that gets old and hard, doesn't seal very well. It will eventually leak when you flip the 'Ski and ruin the display. A new MFD costs about $800!!!

Oh, yea, as if that wasn't enough, go to the Skiworx Ultra 150 site and keep up with the problems as people find them. Nothing against this site, it's great. But the other site is predominately Ultras.

Thread Information