Virage 800 DI no start

Hello all, loosing my mind here. I have an 800 di it did not run when I purchased it. After some checking found that it was the EMM. I sent it out for repair and re installed the EMM. After finding that the wires were crossed for the spark plugs as well and putting them in there proper order it fired up and ran beautifully. After putting everything back together it won't run again. I took everthing apart again cleaned all the connections still no start. I have fuel and spark and still nothing. If i cross the spark plug wires on purpose it will turn over and cough let's say. So i know the ignition can fire off the mixture. Any ideas?? Is it possible the timing sequence is off and is their any way to verify it. I am stumped... I also checked all the stator voltages and they are fine. I have 22 volts at the injectors just before startup like i should. Tested the resistance on the CPS and it was fine at 134 ohms. One thing that stumps me is that after turning over the engine for a bit the plugs are soaked with gasoline major flooding i would assume? Any help would go a long way thanks. Frustrate in MA.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Are you seeing a Check Engine message on the MFI display, or a red warning lamp?

Is it possible the fuel injector wires are swapped?

The Ficht fuel injector nozzles are aimed directly at the spark plugs, so if the spark is not firing, then the plugs will get wet.

Try drying off the spark plugs, check compression, then put the spark plugs back.

Disconnect the TPS, and try starting.

If still no start, dribble a little fuel into the throttle body intakes, and see if it starts.

I dried off the plugs several times i even cleaned them and gapped them to .028. I will try the TPS trick to see how that works. Thanks.

Ok it's settled!! It's alive and running. Always start with a GOOD BATTERY!!! Amazing a weak battery and it won't run. Thank you ph2ocraft you gave me the solution to my problem your the best!!

+1
    TDriver
    Interesting you had 22v at the injectors and it didn't fire up ?? That to me tells me you had sufficient cranking speed .Did you check it out of the water and then tried to start it in the water?

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdriver View Post
    ...a weak battery and it won't run...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    ...you had 22v at the injectors and it didn't fire up ?? That to me tells me you had sufficient cranking speed.

Did you check it out of the water and then tried to start it in the water?
    Glad to hear that a good battery solved the problem!

However, I too am a little mystified that changing the battery solved the problem.

Unlike the carb'ed domestic engines, where the CDI replies on sufficient battery power (10.5 volts minimum) for developing spark, the Ficht engines don't work the same way.

The only thing the Ficht EMM cares about is the high DC voltage developed for the injectors during cranking (22 volts or better). The EMM powers itself from this DC voltage, watches the CPS signal for crank position and sufficient RPM, then lights the engine up.
    Edit: Recent reading between the lines suggests the EMM may indeed use battery voltage to 'boost' the power supply for the ignition, and possibly the fuel injector, systems.
    So a weak battery in a fuel injected Polaris PWC not only reduces the cranking RPM, but it may also starve the EMM of the power needed to light up the engine.

As Bernie said, my current guess is that the battery was so weak that the cranking RPM was below the EMM minimum for engine start.

Perhaps your battery was right on the edge of what was needed, and after a few test starts, no longer had the capacity to spin the engine fast enough

Cranking while in the water is always slower than on land, due to the water load on the impeller.
    Last edited by K447; 03-31-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Knowledge is power. So that being said, it was on dry land sitting on the trailer. I charged the battery overnight, put it in the next morning and it fired right up. Turned it off and on a few times and by the third or fourth time the battery became drained enough to not start it anymore. Even with a weak battery it turned over quite well and still delivered 22 volts at the injectors. My guess is that the injection sucks up all the energy and does not leave enough amperage for the coils to fire under compression. That must be why the plugs are soaked with fuel when i pull them out. Either way i am happy that it runs and can't wait for the water to get warm enough up here in New England to ride it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdriver View Post
    ...can't wait for the water to get warm enough up here in New England to ride it.
    I suggest replacing the battery.

A healthy battery should have more than enough power to start the engine a half dozen times.

My suggestion is to buy a sealed AGM type battery.
    Deka ETX16LM, or Odyssey PC625 are good choices.

Thread Information