Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXT Break-in. Do it hard or easy?

I asked this same question on PWCToday and was referred over to this site. Some guys are saying that it's actually important to run hard early in the break-in process....Anyway, I just purchased my first ski (an '08 RXT 215), and I'm super paranoid about the whole break-in period thing. I pick the ski up on Monday and I'm debating whether to take it out for an hour or two, or just wait till the following weekend when I can be on it for a good 5 hours straight. Is it best to do the 10 hour break-in, in small increments? Or can it be accomplished efficiently in larger chunks of time? Does it matter? The user manual isn't very specific about the whole process. Can I make the throttle at all? Is there a reason not to use the learning key? Or do I have to just ride back and forth for 10 hours staring at the RPM gauge, trembling, and praying that I'm doing everything correctly to ensure the longest engine life possible? I guess if I understood what is happening to the engine during the break-in I might feel better about things. I waited two long years to move down to Florida and buy this thing, so I just want to make sure I get it right.

Could someone please help alleviate my stress level, before I have to get a script for anxiety medication?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    First off always warm your engine up before running it hard.

Sea Doo manual states that you should vary the RPM's during the first 10 hours. Never hold one RPM for more than 5 minutes and never hold WOT for more than 2 minutes.

I varied my rpms during break in and I couldn't wait more than 10 minutes to hit WOT on the ski. I am over 50 hours with no problems, well none realted to the ski or its parts failing(ask me about my Evel Kenevil stunt some other time)

varied rpms not wide open for the first 10 hours

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I asked this same question on PWCToday and was referred over to this site. Some guys are saying that it's actually important to run hard early in the break-in process....Anyway, I just purchased my first ski (an '08 RXT 215), and I'm super paranoid about the whole break-in period thing. I pick the ski up on Monday and I'm debating whether to take it out for an hour or two, or just wait till the following weekend when I can be on it for a good 5 hours straight. Is it best to do the 10 hour break-in, in small increments? Or can it be accomplished efficiently in larger chunks of time? Does it matter? The user manual isn't very specific about the whole process. Can I make the throttle at all? Is there a reason not to use the learning key? Or do I have to just ride back and forth for 10 hours staring at the RPM gauge, trembling, and praying that I'm doing everything correctly to ensure the longest engine life possible? I guess if I understood what is happening to the engine during the break-in I might feel better about things. I waited two long years to move down to Florida and buy this thing, so I just want to make sure I get it right.

Could someone please help alleviate my stress level, before I have to get a script for anxiety medication?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
    i break'em in how i ride them

follow this and you'll be good:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I changed my oil after the first time I rode the ski, about 1 hr.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I asked this same question on PWCToday and was referred over to this site. Some guys are saying that it's actually important to run hard early in the break-in
    process....Anyway, I just purchased my first ski (an '08 RXT 215), and I'm super paranoid about the whole break-in period thing. I pick the ski up on Monday and I'm debating whether to take it out for an hour or two, or just wait till the following weekend when I can be on it for a good 5 hours straight. Is it best to do the 10 hour break-in, in small increments? Or can it be accomplished efficiently in larger chunks of time? Does it matter? The user manual isn't very specific about the whole process. Can I make the throttle at all? Is there a reason not to use the learning key? Or do I have to just ride back and forth for 10 hours staring at the RPM gauge, trembling, and praying that I'm doing everything correctly to ensure the longest engine life possible? I guess if I understood what is happening to the engine during the break-in I might feel better about things. I waited two long years to move down to Florida and buy this thing, so I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Kevin,

First off let me welcome you to Greenhulk!! Hope you enjoy your time here!!

Me personally I would let it come up to operating temps first..Then for the first 1/2 hour or so go through the RPM ranges,Make sure there are no vibrations,leaks or unusual noises..If all is good after the first say 1/2 hour 45 minutes then ride it like you would normally ride it...You dont have to abuse it and peg the throttle wide open but WOT runs will NOT hurt during break in...Also they recommend running it through a couple of heat cycles..Does this help??I couldnt say..As far as your learning key..DO NOT run your learning key during any of your break-in period..Use the normal key..Remeber..Ride it like you would normally ride it and all will be OK.. You dont have to stare at the tach all day..Just go out and enjoy your ski..You can break it in hard and still not abuse it...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Kevin,

First off let me welcome you to Greenhulk!! Hope you enjoy your time here!!

Me personally I would let it come up to operating temps first..Then for the first 1/2 hour or so go through the RPM ranges,Make sure there are no vibrations,leaks or unusual noises..If all is good after the first say 1/2 hour 45 minutes then ride it like you would normally ride it...You dont have to abuse it and peg the throttle wide open but WOT runs will NOT hurt during break in...Also they recommend running it through a couple of heat cycles..Does this help??I couldnt say..As far as your learning key..DO NOT run your learning key during any of your break-in period..Use the normal key..Remeber..Ride it like you would normally ride it and all will be OK.. You dont have to stare at the tach all day..Just go out and enjoy your ski..You can break it in hard and still not abuse it...
    This is how I do breakins, gone thru it meany times with different skis. Make sure you dont use learner key. Try to get it wideopen, I never held mine for more hten about 10-15 seconds at full speed. I would recommend avoiding any big wave jumping (if u ride in ocean) and try to break it in on calm water where its not bouncing around all over the revs. Just smooth ups and downs on the throttle. I like to taker from about 15mph to fullout slowly and repeat many times. Oil change at 9-10 hours. Always had good running machines so far doing this.....and def let it warm up ALOT before the first wide open. a good 10-15 minutes min of run time before that. Oh also heard quite a few mechanics tell me that its good to make sure its been wide open full RPMs before you hit 2 hours..

+1
    Be sure to go wide open throttle shortly after the ski is warmed up. Hold it there for 10-15 seconds or so. Vary the throttle for the first 3-4 hours and be sure to include plenty of WOT bursts every now and then.

Don't be afraid to grab a hand full of throttle

The next best thing to a pat on the Back RXTUSMC's Avatar

What the dealer told me.

When I bought my new 08 RXT last Sept. Was DO NOT, DO NOT use the super charger key the yellow key for the first ten hours. Reason if you do it may lock up the super charger. Use the learning key only for the 1st ten hours. So That's what I did and as soon as she it 10 hours. it was WOT, back to the ramp to go get my ten hour service. I just went over 40 hours today. love the ski and have not had a single problem.

RXTUSMC

Quote Originally Posted by RXTUSMC View Post
    When I bought my new 08 RXT last Sept. Was DO NOT, DO NOT use the super charger key the yellow key for the first ten hours. Reason if you do it may lock up the super charger. Use the learning key only for the 1st ten hours. So That's what I did and as soon as she it 10 hours. it was WOT, back to the ramp to go get my ten hour service. I just went over 40 hours today. love the ski and have not had a single problem.

RXTUSMC
    Wonder why most dealers have bad reputations...
    No disrespect to you, RXTUSMC

My only suggestion would be to change the oil sooner than 10 hours as stated above. After that, go silly on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information