Help me choose an exhaust

I have owned my RXP for a year now and at this point it is bone stock. At home I have waiting for me (currently deployed) a centre A-kit supercharger bought from another member here. I bought it mostly because I needed to do washers but wanted to start modding so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money this year on the ski but I want to get some basic mods done, and obviously I can't just have the supercharger there all by itself.

So far I plan to add a 4 in front intake and I have really been thinking about adding exhaust. My only concern is that I have never had any experience or observation of a ski with exhaust. I have watched almost 100 different youtube vids to try to help me pick out a route to go with. I am not 100% sure that I want to go with a thru hull yet and cut the ski up for something I might not like. I have been thinking about maybe going step my step with it. Every thing I own is loud so it is nice being able to ride the ski comfortably. I don't mind others hating it from the shorelines but I dont want to hate riding full throttle. I have been reading so much and still cant decide.

So far I am thinking just going with removing the resonator and maybe a waterbox but leaving the exhaust exit stock. What do you guys thing about this. I def dont want to be adding parts like a free flow to just take it off later when I want to add a thru hull. If I can homemake it that would be even better. I really did like the vids with the greenhulk box but if I am not mistaken these are no longer being sold? If I am going to have exhaust done I want it to be really throaty and deep instead of sounding like a 2 stroke dirtbike. I would just like to be able to reverse it incase it didnt work out rather than put a thru hull on and be stuck with it. What do you guys suggest?

+1
    I suggest the Riva Rear Exhaust (thru-hull). You can always reverse it by putting a plug in the hole you drill. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it has a very good, mean sounding tone. The new Riva waterbox is a replacement of the Greenhulk shorty box. It's slightly different, but sounds nearly the same. Modifying the stock waterbox or replacing it will give you a very raspy growling tone. Keeping the stock exhaust exit will give you an annoying drone around 2500-3800 RPMs. The least expensive mod that you can toss out if you upgrade is a homemade freeflow pipe. A 8" long 2.5" diameter pipe replaces the resonator box. It will have the drone noise though.

Are there any different thru hulls other than riva? Any sound difference? I am thinking about just saying screw it and doing it. I know I will prob like it anyways, I have never seen another ski in my area that has exhaust so I will definatly stick out. Is there anyway to get a greenbox still? From all the posts I read people seemed to prefer them over the Riva.

On a side note, I am a little confused about the J pipe and what role it plays in the exhaust. I havent seen inside my ski for quite a long time so it is hard to have a picture of it. Does the J pipe come from the manifold to the waterbox or something? I think I understand from the waterbox on back to the exhaust exit part of of the system.

+1
    The Jpipe connects the exhaust manifold to the water box.

Go with the Riva box its really the only thing like it out on the market. Every once and a while someone puts a GH box on the classifieds. I just started my ski up today with the Riva box I just got. The install is a bitch but it is well worth it IMO.

What makes it better than the greenhulk? All the posts I had read comparing the too, people always pushed the green box. I figured I would try to look for one of those. I guess if the Riva is the only thing available then there isnt much choice. Was the sound much different than the green box compared to the Riva?

from what i've hear the riva is a little quieter tha the green box i will know for sure this weekend because my buddy put a riva on and i have the green

I have a great idea then, you should just sell me your greenbox. LOL

Why did he quit making them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I have a great idea then, you should just sell me your greenbox. LOL

Why did he quit making them.
    He never did make them, he had them out sourced from what I remember. I believe there was issues with a constant supply. Jerry actually sold the plans to Riva. The Riva box is almost identical, the major differences are they used spun ends (in stead of flat ones) and mandrel bent tubes which = a more smooth flow. Everyone talked about the original GH box because thats all that was available for years. Riva just realeased what is basically a GH box 2.0 this past December. Most people that bought them havent even been out on the water yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    He never did make them, he had them out sourced from what I remember. I believe there was issues with a constant supply. Jerry actually sold the plans to Riva. The Riva box is almost identical, the major differences are they used spun ends (in stead of flat ones) and mandrel bent tubes which = a more smooth flow. Everyone talked about the original GH box because thats all that was available for years. Riva just realeased what is basically a GH box 2.0 this past December. Most people that bought them havent even been out on the water yet.
    All correct except i didn't sell them anything. Probably should have?

All joking aside, the Riva shorty water box is basically a duplicate of my old water box but with many improvements as you noted above.

Thread Information