Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Only one cylinder getting hot – 2000 Genesis 1200

I was taking my 2000 Genesis 1200 out of storage today, and during flushing, the middle cylinder was getting very hot. It was idling for only about 2 or 3 minuets. I felt the other two and they were cool to touch. Could this be an oil problem? Or is it not getting water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Service Manuals and other useful info.

You should not run the engine on the reverse flush connection for more than a minute, two at the most. Excessive run time out of the water can overheat the jet pump bearings and seals.

If you run the engine for 10-20 seconds or so without water, do all three cylinders get to similar temperatures?

When running on the reverse flush connection, the water flow through the engine is not the same as when the watercraft is in the water. Some cylinders will get more water flow than others.

If the cylinder temps when running in the water are normal, then that is what matters.

Not sure, I will check this tomorrow and see if the middle cylinder gets hotter than the others. I just read the flush time section in the manual, and I have been doing this wrong for a long time… Usually I run it at idle for 5 minuets, or so, to make sure the fresh water cleans it out. Now I know. Thank for the info.

another problem

Humm… Went out to check what K447 asked, and could not get it to start. Had to swap out the battery twice yesterday when trying to start it for the first time this season. I put the other battery back in, it fired once, but now I have to charge it again. My be time for a new battery.

Will you have any spark at the plugs in the battery is low, but still turns over the engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmann View Post
    Humm… Went out to check what K447 asked, and could not get it to start. Had to swap out the battery twice yesterday when trying to start it for the first time this season. I put the other battery back in, it fired once, but now I have to charge it again. My be time for a new battery.

Will you have any spark at the plugs in the battery is low, but still turns over the engine?
    You might get a marginal or intermittent spark.

Any time there is any question about the strength of the battery, replace it.

A weak or old battery in a PWC is asking for trouble. If it dies on the water, it is no fun.

If you can, buy a top quality factory sealed AGM type battery. A couple of good brands are listed here.

Installed the new AGM type battery and it started up with no problems…. Now back to the original problem. Ran the engine for 20 seconds and could not tell any difference in temp between the three cylinders. I guess the real test will be this weekend on the water.

+1
    Take out your centre spark plug and check for rust on it .If unsure remove head and look at cylinder walls .It may have corrosion in there and that was where your heat was from .Might save you an engine

Bernie

The spark plug looks clean. I have never pulled a head off before… Will I need to replace the gasket and o-rings when I do this?

I took the polaris out today and all three cylinders felt around the same temp.

My wife told me that I didn’t check on our new born son as much as I pulling off the seat to check the head temp while riding today…

Thanks for all the help - This is a great site...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmann View Post
    I took the Polaris out today and all three cylinders felt around the same temp...
    And how was the ride?

What was the peak RPM at WOT?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information