Thread: Help

Help

Hello everyone I'm a newbie here so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry. I have a 1996 seadoo GTX 580cc (I believe thats the motor size it was seadoos bottom line machine in 1996) Ok now the horror story... The machine litterally has maybe 10hrs on it but the rotary gear melted to the steal gear??? I had a mechanic look at it on his off time well the guy ripped the whole thing apart and thats what he told me I have the gear but dont know how to put it back together. I feel akward bringing it to a dealership with it all torn apart. anyone here of this problem.. Anyone know how to fix it??? or just some guidance.

+1
    Was this engine set-up for pre mix?

Um

I believe it has a seperate oil tank... If that helps.

+1
    Ok. well it sounds like the rotary valve got starved of oil. The reason I asked if it was switched to pre-mix is because alot of people that switch them over dont realise that you have to make a loop connecting both sides of the case where the oil folws and fill it with oil to keep the rotary lubed. If it is still oil injected I would make sure everything is clear of blockages and getting oil.

Ya that makes sense. I guess now I have to pull the motor... Are there any instructions on how to replace that gear?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gus2009 View Post
    Ya that makes sense. I guess now I have to pull the motor... Are there any instructions on how to replace that gear?
    I cant really help you there because I have never worked on the 580. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this. Try posting this in the 2 stroke section.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the GTX came with a 787 that year. there are manuals all over this site for your machine...do a search and read up

IIRC, the rotary valve is driven off the crank. If the gear on the crank is bad, it's time for a crank rebuild or a new crank. But then you don't know why the gear failed. It could have failed because of a bad crank seal which let all the oil drain out and the gear just overheated. You might want to post this in the Sea Doo 2-Stroke section... Ron

Thread Information