Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Powder Coating the Rideplate?

I was wondering if any one has done this? I know alot of people say don't because of the heat transfer. From what I have found for info it is only about 10% less heat transfer. But the plate has a large surface area so would it affect cooling that much?
    I found this info online:The automotive industry powder coats wheels, grills, bumpers, hubcaps, door handles, decorative trim, radiators, air bag components, engine blocks, and numerous under-the-hood parts and components, along with trailers and trailer hitches. Powder clearcoats are now being applied by BMW and Volvo over automotive exterior basecoats. And the exterior body intermediate coat - the primer-surfacer - on some models of Ford, GM, and Chrysler automobiles are powder coated.

+1
    why would you want to powder coat the rideplate? just curious

To make it smooth, fill in the factory small porosity holes,anti corrosion and my friend owns a shop and will do it for free.

+1
    Ok gotcha on the anti corrosion, but I doubt powder coat will help top speed if that is what you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Human Hammer View Post
    To make it smooth, fill in the factory small porosity holes,anti corrosion and my friend owns a shop and will do it for free.
    wet sand it down and polish it out with some mother it will look nickle plated

Ya that is what I am doing! But when my buddy welded the skegs on he asked if I wanted it powder coated. I said I don't know. Thats why I am getting some advice.

+1
    take a look a big bucks plate polish that plate is like a mirror

It will not cool as good if you paint or powder coat it. If your are running open loop it would be ok.

+1
    The ride plate is definitely one of those things where performance outweighs appearance. Why would you intentionally decrease the performance of your heat exchanger by 10%? This is not something that you'd do to any other part of the powertrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The ride plate is definitely one of those things where performance outweighs appearance. Why would you intentionally decrease the performance of your heat exchanger by 10%? This is not something that you'd do to any other part of the powertrain.
    I am looking at the performance from having a super smooth surface! The heat exchange is the only draw back I can find,with possibly a 18*-20* temp difference but that is not factoring in the water temp of the river or lake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information