Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I convert to Premix?

How many of you are premixing now? What all would I need to do this? Just a block off plate?
    I will be installing my keyway soon and that would be a good time. What are the pros and cons? The only thing I can think of is I will use more oil if I start premixing, but it will shed a few pounds. My ski is an '06 and only has 15hrs.

+1
    I would pre-mix. Less stuff to go wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spud
    I would pre-mix. Less stuff to go wrong.
    This is true. You would need your block off plate - and you would have to zip-tie your oil level "reader" in the "up" position to keep the alarms from going off (low-oil alarm).

You would never have to worry about an oil-pump failure and you wouldn't have to worry about a line falling off.

However, you would be running the same mix (say 32:1) at all rpm levels where as the oil injection would send the appropiate amount of oil according to the throttle position. With oil injection your mix always varies accordingly and may only hit the 32:1 mark at WOT and possibly different mixtures for lower rpms.

So with that said---be carefule not to run at idle for long periods of time so that you will not foul plugs left and right---you should be fine, just keep an eye on it.

The only reason i havn't done it is because where i ride --we often have to fill up at the lake pumps far away from our launch and i never wanted to be carrying oil with me & trying to figure out how much to put in according to how many gallons i just filled up with.

I would do whatever is easier for you for sure though.

Yes, it is true that you never have to worry about pump failures or lines off, but then you do have to worry about forgetting to add oil, easy in a container, but not so easy at the marina or gas station. Odds are that a pump failure is less likely than forgetting to add the correct ammount of oil. Most line failures happen after some ham fisted owner has his pipe out for what ever reason. I use the pump. REXA.

+1
    I guess you could worry about the quality of the gas at the marina instead. We are talking hardcore GPR's here many close to 80 mph. The oil manufactures might recommend a different ratio than the pump is capable of. These guys don't take chances with fuel. You did hit a point the injectors can be a pain when you are assembling and disassembling for jetting reed inspections etc.

I've never had a pump fail in the past and I've run marina gas in the past with a bone stock GP1200 and a bone stock WB2. Apples to oranges. I'll bet Pistonwash and Fercho run premix.

So it really boils down to personal preference. I guess we all get to worry about something.

Spud, I agree with what you are saying in respect of the hard core enthusiasts, but this is a minority group, the majority fall into the other catogory, and should not be led into a situation such as pre-mix that they are less likely to be able to control, for no good reason (good to them anyway). So Ron, if you have a mildly modified Yamaha with variable injection and you ride recreationally, stick to pump. REXA.

+1
    Ron has an 06 GPR that goes 75+ mph, he is going to put the advance key in. I sold him a d-plate. He spins a 14/22 Dynafly 7120 rpms. Ron sounds like an average Sunday rider to me. Like most on this board. Not at all mechanically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by spud
    Ron has an 06 GPR that goes 75+ mph, he is going to put the advance key in. I sold him a d-plate. He spins a 14/22 Dynafly 7120 rpms. Ron sounds like an average Sunday rider to me. Like most on this board. Not at all mechanically inclined.
    14/22 @ 7120 for 75+???

I'm turning my 15/24 @ 7130 and I'm at 75.9... (top was 76.5) on my '05. I'm going to be working on the hull/plate, I should have at least 2 more mph if all that math works out right!

Nice numebrs!

Ron, did you do the package, or is it all on your own?

If you do not do the block off, it's not matter of IF you will have a failure, its a matter of when. It might not be until you have 200 hours or more on the ski, but you will have a failure. And when it does, it will cost more than time to fix it. For those capable of working on your own ski, not a huge deal, cept for the new pistons and cylnders...for those incapable...could be $1000 or more...

If you go pre-mix, it is almost impossible to "forget". There are a few slow folks out there hence, I used the word "almost". I've been premixing for almost 13 years now, and have never ever forgotten even once. That's because there is a "right" way to premix, and there is a wrong way. The right way is to put your oil in a container, then the gas. The wrong way is to put the oil in "later", or even worse, pouring the oil directly into the gas tank and then putting the gas in and hoping it mixes correctly...

But if you do it the right way all the time - there is no forgetting. Ever...

Ray, I'm sure Ron appreciates your WRONG information about a guaranteed failure, and him and me would jokingly suggest that you convert your new 50th anniversary FX HO Cruiser to wet sump with a dip stick so that you may check your true oil level before you fire up the engine. Proceedure with a dry sump (FYI) is to fire up on water, run until engine temp is normal, stop engine and then dip the tank. Food for thought in the name of technological progress. REXA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information