Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rotary gear help

I think I posted this in the wrong section before:
    Hello everyone I'm a newbie here so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry. I have a 1996 seadoo GTX 580cc (I believe thats the motor size it was seadoos bottom line machine in 1996) Ok now the horror story... The machine litterally has maybe 10hrs on it but the rotary gear melted to the steal gear??? I had a mechanic look at it on his off time well the guy ripped the whole thing apart and thats what he told me I have the gear but dont know how to put it back together. I feel akward bringing it to a dealership with it all torn apart. anyone here of this problem.. Anyone know how to fix it??? or just some guidance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Nope, you found the right place...Welcome to GH by the way.
    let me get this right, you took it to a mechanic that tore it all apart and couldnt figure out how to get it back together?....First Id get a new mechanic. Second, go get you ski from the dealership cause you can do this yourself and i can garuntee that if you let them do it you wont ride till September... its that easy if you can read directions, get a manual and are kinda handy with basic shop tools. I also think that your ski came with a 787. does the motor lean to the right(787cc) if your looking at it from the back or is it straight up and down(720cc)?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Standing at the back a 787 leans to the left...

+1
    yea... opps!

Sorry bout the late reply the machine was bought new for my wife nd has been dead since we started dating due to this issue. I know the machine only does about 45mph and I believe its the 587cc motor. It was the cheapest one that year. Mind you my wife and I have been together for 7 years.

Ok ya the mechanic was a backyard mechanic that came from a good sea doo dealer so I figured why not my father knew him (dad owns a marina but does not work on waverunners) and my father inlaw knew him ( he's a marina contractor) the guy ripped the carbs off and the intake and left everything apart and gave it back saying that he didnt have the time to do it. I would have jumped all over him but hes been good to my family. So I let it pass. So now I have this awsome ski theres no tears in the seat theres not one scratch in the hull the only thing thats faded are the plastic runners on the side. And its in pieces on the side of my house. I'm debating wether to get rid of it or try and ffix it. Is it worth fixing? If I get rid of it as is what should I ask?

+1
    all you need for that plastic is a heat gun and it will color back up to new....just dont get too close. if you sold it now its gonna bring less than $500 for the machine. As for the motor. can you describe it? Is it like what XPSS and I described? It will help asses cost of the engine. I'd drop a new/rebuilt one in it and ride it. just my .02

Ok it is the 587 this is what www.shopsbt.com gave me as a price. I dont know I'm beside myself that just seems like alot of money and I have to send then the original block back ya know .12 month no fault warantie 587 standard 745.00 gaskets 29.95 plus 145 for shipping. But we have to send back your old engine block in 2 weeks to them ANY IDEAS??? Is this good?

hold on now

we need to slow down here.

1.) We need to confirm what motor is in this boat. Either you have the wrong model or you have the wrong motor. Can you take a pic of the ski or the motor? Check this link for your ski: http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

2.) If the rotory valve is the problem, getting a new motor from sbt is not going to fix your problem. I don't think that the motor from them comes with this part. (ie you have to use your own) In your case this does you no good. You might just need a new rotory gear shaft and gear and not the whole motor.

Don't rush this or you are going to waste money on things you don't know how to do or need.

If you really have no idea, take it to a local mechanic and ask for an estimate and what the problem is. - Then report back to us. (this is what i would do if i were you)

Dean

Ok LOL let me look at the flywheel when I get home today. I know its a 3 seater and I know its a 1996 if that helps at all. But I also know by looking at the fly wheel it will give me the exact engine model

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information