+1

Anyone out there rebuild motorcycle carbs?

i've got a '89 yamaha radian 600 where i need the carbs rebuilt. I'm having a GIO problem, it would be alright for a couple short rides(i check the oil before every ride) but when i go on longer rides gas will fill the crankcase and/or leak out the side of the carbs getting all over the place. The last time I took it out i almost lost control of it because the gas was coming out the tube to the rear and getting all over the back tire causing me to lose control. I've narrowed it down to one of the carbs needle sticking. If anyone knows anyone who rebuilds them or can point me in the direction of who can please let me know!

+1
    Take them apart yourself. No better time to learn then right now. That's how I learned. I had a Suzuki RF-600 (95) and put a D&D full pipe and jet kit on it and it ran like chit. I had those carbs apart at least 50 times trying different jet, needle and float level combinations trying to get it jetted perfect. They're really not that complicated if you'll just take that first step and take them apart.

Oh its a good time. You should do it with someone who knows what he is doing and learn that way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Oh its a good time. You should do it with someone who knows what he is doing and learn that way.

yeah i just did my carbs on my xp and they were pretty simple, but the ones on my motorcycle are how should i say this "more mechanical?" with floats and stuff. Once i get it home and the carb rack off i guess i can dig into it, it's just i'd rather have a professional do this since this is gunna be my mode of transportation most of the summer

+1
    If you're going to pull them yourself then you are already halfway there. Remove the bowls slide out the float pin pull the float. replace the needle on the float, then replace the seat. put it back together. You may want to check your fuel filter and lines. If the float is not mechanically sticking, then you may be getting some crap in the line. I rebuilt the 4 carbs on my Yamaha FJ1200. The hardest part was removing the carbs (they're packed in there), and cleaning out the air passages (which you do not NEED to do since you're running fine). Have faith in yourself bro.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rhislo View Post
    If you're going to pull them yourself then you are already halfway there. Remove the bowls slide out the float pin pull the float. replace the needle on the float, then replace the seat. put it back together. You may want to check your fuel filter and lines. If the float is not mechanically sticking, then you may be getting some crap in the line. I rebuilt the 4 carbs on my Yamaha FJ1200. The hardest part was removing the carbs (they're packed in there), and cleaning out the air passages (which you do not NEED to do since you're running fine). Have faith in yourself bro.....
    yeah, last year i changed the inline filter about 4 times to keep it running right, the GIO symptom would start to happen before i would change out the in line filter, and after i changed the filter it wouldn't happen...i ordered a spare tank til i can get the original one cleaned...I may send u a few pm's if i got some questions

A filter is not going to stop a bad needle/seat from closing but a piece of dirt will. The carbs just need to be cleaned - one-at-a-time and tested. My '76 TT500 did that for a while until I got all the crap out of the carb... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    yeah, last year i changed the inline filter about 4 times to keep it running right, the GIO symptom would start to happen before i would change out the in line filter, and after i changed the filter it wouldn't happen...i ordered a spare tank til i can get the original one cleaned...I may send u a few pm's if i got some questions
    No problem. Happy to help if I can.

Thread Information