Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

having a problem with a local dealership...need suggestions

So about two weeks ago i went to a local seadoo/brp dealership (since it was on the way to my destination), I go in with my HIN # to see if the previous owner got warranty work done to it. So I give the parts manager my registration card with the HIN # looks it up on the database and says that my boat was never made and the number is wrong. I tripple checked the number before and it matched and i looked again when i got home and it matched. So the dealership made the effort to call me back(I ended up trying to call twice that same day) and finally talked with the manager and said the only is if I bring my ski to them since the serial # is on the bottom of the gas tank...they will pull it apart to see if it's a old or new...now im curious if its already been worked on with the new parts, do u think they'll charge me labor just for checking?....I can tell everyone now that im not going to take it there. My only other option is taking it to a dealership that's about 3 1/2 hours away.

+1
    You should ask them if they would charge for labor. I'm pretty friendly with my dealer, so I don't think he would charge me, but some dealers might. It all depends on how nice they are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    So about two weeks ago i went to a local seadoo/brp dealership (since it was on the way to my destination), I go in with my HIN # to see if the previous owner got warranty work done to it. So I give the parts manager my registration card with the HIN # looks it up on the database and says that my boat was never made and the number is wrong. I tripple checked the number before and it matched and i looked again when i got home and it matched. So the dealership made the effort to call me back(I ended up trying to call twice that same day) and finally talked with the manager and said the only is if I bring my ski to them since the serial # is on the bottom of the gas tank...they will pull it apart to see if it's a old or new...now im curious if its already been worked on with the new parts, do u think they'll charge me labor just for checking?....I can tell everyone now that im not going to take it there. My only other option is taking it to a dealership that's about 3 1/2 hours away.
    Have you tried contacting SeaDoo/BRP directly w/your question?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    You should ask them if they would charge for labor. I'm pretty friendly with my dealer, so I don't think he would charge me, but some dealers might. It all depends on how nice they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    well this was the final straw for me, over the past few years we've done alot of business with them and there(purchased two brand new sup'ed up yahmaha mopeds, a motorcycle and had them all service there) I went in asked if i could get my seadoo in soon and the looked and laughed at me and said they're working on snowmobiles(there's no snow here anymore) for a while and the earliest i could possibly get it in is june(and there's a wait list for that too) knowing how i was treated then they're probably gunna charge me just for labor...and im guessing it would be alot...

I really dont know what i should do with the HIN since it wont come up on the data base.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    And carefully checked the actual VIN on the rear deck?

Make sure there is no transposition of digits like 1234 -> 1243, and no confusion between letters and numbers, or misreading a digit, like I1B8635S2

Sometimes it can be good to double check the numbers going right to left, rather than left to right.

You might also want to find, record and check the engine serial number - usually either engine or VIN will be enough to identify the machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    And carefully checked the actual VIN on the rear deck?

Make sure there is no transposition of digits like 1234 -> 1243, and no confusion between letters and numbers, or misreading a digit, like I1B8635S2

Sometimes it can be good to double check the numbers going right to left, rather than left to right.

You might also want to find, record and check the engine serial number - usually either engine or VIN will be enough to identify the machine.
    yup double and tripple checked the number...

now i know this may sound kinda like a dumb question but that year only so many skis(its a limited edition from factory)were made and were limited to dealers also!

+1
    yup double and tripple checked the number...

now i know this may sound kinda like a dumb question but that year only so many skis(its a limited edition from factory)were made and were limited to dealers also!
    I'm assuming your the HIN on your boat registration/owner's certificate (if required in your state) matches the same HIN posted on the rear of the PWC. Just another way to check.

Here's SeaDoo's main contact page: http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/contact-us.htm

Has a customer service hot line and some other ways to make contact. Don't just take the dealers word about it not showing up in the data base, call the home office.

Finally, do you know who the previous owner was or how to contact them? If not, perhaps doing a reverse lookup via the boat certificat/owner's registration can shed some light...

You might want to post this over on sea-doo.net. Glen Perry is pretty helpful when it comes to tracking down problems like this. he helped me remotely when the local dealer wouldn't... Ron

+1
    I'm assuming your the HIN on your boat registration/owner's certificate (if required in your state) matches the same HIN posted on the rear of the PWC. Just another way to check.

Here's SeaDoo's main contact page: http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/contact-us.htm

Has a customer service hot line and some other ways to make contact. Don't just take the dealers word about it not showing up in the data base, call the home office.

Finally, do you know who the previous owner was or how to contact them? If not, perhaps doing a reverse lookup via the boat certificat/owner's registration can shed some light...
    yes, for our registration here in wisconsin we get a boater registration card which gives some personal information such as name address. also there is information on type of watercraft, the brand and measurements, along with the serial #/HIN...I purchased the ski from a friend who i went to high school with and that didn't help much

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    You might want to post this over on sea-doo.net. Glen Perry is pretty helpful when it comes to tracking down problems like this. he helped me remotely when the local dealer wouldn't... Ron

thanks ron, there's a member on this forum helping me with my situation, I'll give glen a holler over there and see what comes up.

+1
    yes, for our registration here in wisconsin we get a boater registration card which gives some personal information such as name address. also there is information on type of watercraft, the brand and measurements, along with the serial #/HIN...I purchased the ski from a friend who i went to high school with and that didn't help much

thanks ron, there's a member on this forum helping me with my situation, I'll give glen a holler over there and see what comes up.
    Not to be throwing around useless blather, but your first request/post said you took it to the dealer to see if the previous owner had warranty work done... then, in your last reply you stated you purchased the ski from a high school friend. - They're not the same person???? Confusing...

Anyway, good luck. I hope you get the info you need and have a great riding season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information