Thread: ufc

+1

ufc

hughs smahed gracie. brandon vera wins he needs to fight silvia or andre

+1
    I didn't get to see it, but thanks for the update. I'm happy that Hughs beat Gracie.

+1
    I was really disapointed in Graci, it was like he wasnt even trying at all (I smell a rematch). There is no way he would have went down like that, that was just way to easy. I just dont dont it get it, you got BJ Penn who has beatin Matt before, and who is currently thought to be the only one that can take the belt "back" from Matt, how is it that BJ is trained by Graci yet Graci who trains BJ goes out like that ???? It just dont add up. Heck my friend that trains with the Graci's in Cali spars with BJ has tapped BJ out a few times yet he tells me that the Graci's just play with him (my friend) like he was nothin.

+1
    I missed it.....

I wonder how KIMBO (underground street fighter) would do in that ?

+1
    Now you are talking about my sport, don't get me started or I will never quit

That was a great UFC.

JSD, I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as well. But BJJ ain't MMA/UFC. It's one thing to be able to tap someone at class in a gi using BJJ rules and a completely different thing to step into the ring with the best Militech Fighting Systems has to offer. Hughes is just one of those anomoly kinda guys and he's at the top of his game. Royce came for the payday and has nothing to be ashamed of as he ran into the pound for pound best the UFC has to offer. I'm just glad Hughes didn't hurt him.

I was just as pumped up about the rest of the fights. After having a chance to train with Dean Lister, I couldn't wait to see him in the octagon. And he quickly proved why he is considered one the best grapplers on the planet.

Then Mike Swick and Brandon Vera showed they are no flashes in the pan and are both nearing a title shot in their weight classes. Every fight they showed last night was a good. I just wished they could have included Horn dropping to 185 and tapping Chael Sonnen in the 2nd. That would have been a nice addition to the great card.

Billy, Kimbo fought a B rate UFC fighter and lost not too long ago. The guys that make contenders and champions on the UFC would take Kimbo out quicker than Matt did Royce

The main thing is that Hughes proved to the world just 13 years after the first UFC that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is no longer enough to be a successful fighter at that level. Heck, Kazushi Sakaraba showed that 6 years ago when he walked through 4 Gracies in a row including Royce, but now the US fans got to see it as well.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is undenaibly a great art for its ground game, but unless you have at least supplemented your training with Muay Thai/Boxing for standup and Wrestling/Judo/Sambo for clinch and takedowns, you just have no business stepping into the ring against modern MMA fighters and that's just what Royce (and the world) finally learned last night.

See, I told you I tend to ramble on about this stuff

+1
    Jarret,

Not taking nothing away from Matt but I still dont get how BJ who is trained by Graci is a top contender who has beatin Matt before and thought to still be the one to beat Matt, yet Graci cant take Matt and even almost got submitted in his own game(in the first fuckin round even ), that arm should of snapped Your possibly right, maybe Graci came for the payday, like I said earlier - I smell a rematch. I just dont hope that UFC is going to start being fake like boxing. Thats why I like the UFC cause its not rigged Don King BS(I bet he hate UFC now ). To me that is why the UFC is taking over boxing, cause its real, Can you believe all the celebs that are seen at the UFC fights now (way more than boxing now) and they even do interviews too, some even know what their talking about unless you Paris Hilton that is

Ya, the wife and I were excited to see Dean fight, deffinitly on top of the game, wonder if he might ever fight Tito

And gotta love Swick, From Houston (my current home town) and fighting out of San Jose (my old home town)

Now what I cant wait for is Shamrock and Tito gettin it on again, TITO - TITO - TITO ! I hope Shamrock gets his azz handed to him again

+1
    BJ actually got his BB from a guy named Andre Pederneiras. BJ isn't really tied to the Royce Gracie branch of the family. But more importantly, BJ is a phenom in his own right and not *just* a BJJ guy. He's an extremely well rounded fighter with great standup and takedown/takedown defense skills.

That said if BJ met Matt again, Matt would beat him at this point, imo. Regardless, BJ can't fight his way up to Matt again. The comeptition is too good now in that weight class. George St. Pierre is the only one right now that has a chance against Hughes at 170.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett
    BJ actually got his BB from a guy named Andre Pederneiras. BJ isn't really tied to the Royce Gracie branch of the family. But more importantly, BJ is a phenom in his own right and not *just* a BJJ guy. He's an extremely well rounded fighter with great standup and takedown/takedown defense skills.

That said if BJ met Matt again, Matt would beat him at this point, imo. Regardless, BJ can't fight his way up to Matt again. The comeptition is too good now in that weight class. George St. Pierre is the only one right now that has a chance against Hughes at 170.
    Pier had Hughs the last fight till the submission. I think is training even harder and will take Hughs the next time. BJ Penn seems like he really is not in to it anymore

+1
    I dont know how much but BJ does train with the Gracies, My buddie has been training with the Gracies for about 10 years now and that is where he trains/spars with BJ. BJ does also do some training over in Hawaii somewhere.

I am with you Nate, I think BJ does not seem to be in it. I do think(want) though if he got serious though he could do it, but like I said, he'd have to get seriuos, he seemed to run out of steam in his last fight(St.Pierre was it ??? ).

I am waiting to see that fight between hughs and st pierre that will be awsome I think Jarret is right I thought Gracie would do much better but your gonna have to have more then just one disipline. I thought for sure royce would sumbmit matt after a little beating well that didn't happen. I tell you what would be the fight would be vandila and matt that would be the fight to see. Vandila is just plain nasty.

Thread Information