New guy needing help with 96 SLT700

First off, let me say that yall have a very nice site here so I decided to join. Its hard to find parts and info on polaris jet skis around here.

Heres the problem. Last summer, I ended up shattering the rings on one of the pistons (the piston closest to the back). I was going to get it fixed and I couldn't find parts and the labor was so high I put it on the back burner until now. I tore the top end down last summer so its down to the crank case and crank. I just got back from a local jet ski shop and he said it would cost me $1,100 to get it fixed because metal shavings ate up one of the piston rod bearings. That is parts included but the catch is, he will be using parts off of another Polaris SLT700 that he has laying around (except the pistons they will be new). That seems a bit steep to me. I found a crank on ebay for $269 and a weisco piston kit for $200. I would have to get the cylinders honed (no clue how much it costs) because I left them outside and they have rust on them and I would have to buy 1 head because when the rings shattered, it chipped small parts of the head off.

So, here is a cliff notes version.
    1 - Needs a crank, piston kit, cylinders honed (or new cylinders if cheap enough), and 1 new head.
    2 - Is $1100 for all of that plus installation too much because all of the parts he will be using will be used except for the piston kit?

I bought 2 more jet skis last week (98 Kawasaki zxi1100 and 99 seadoo xp900) and the guy told me that the seadoo ran fine and the kawasaki needed a CDI box. The guy at the jet ski shop just looked at it and said I need a CDI box, entire wiring harness, some other box that the throttle cable goes into, and the carbs rebuilt. He said it would be cheaper to buy another jet ski than fix that one so I will end up selling it for parts if anyone wants it. The reason I said all of that is because I cant be spending $1100 on the polaris, $2000 on the kawasaki, and if anything happens to be wrong on the seadoo, fixing it to. I have to do this as cheap as possible.

Anybody got any spare parts laying around they need to get rid of for the Polaris or Kawasaki?

-Kody

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

As always, you can find Service Manuals and other info here. You can also find a guide to buying used PWC.

I will let others here reply to your questions about costs and such.

I can say that buying used crank shafts without being able to check them in person can be expensive.

Unless you can be 100% certain that the crank shaft will not need to be rebuilt, there is a real risk that you will need to pay for a rebuild.

Even if the crank shaft works when you first get it, if there is a weak area or bearings going bad, it can grenade inside your engine at high RPM on the water, and damage the entire engine.

Polaris crank shafts must be rebuilt using specialized tools and expertise, which means you cannot do it yourself.

If you are buying almost any brand of older PWC as an 'inexpensive' way to get on the water, you may want to refocus your strategy. I suggest you select one PWC brand, and only one or two models from that brand, and only buy those.

Then you will be able to compare one machine to another when you have a problem, and your own knowledge of that particular make/model will be more effective.

Never rely on what the seller says about the condition of the PWC they are selling, or what they think it will take to get it repaired. Do you own thorough evaluation, and/or have someone you trust help you.

Buying a running PWC allows you to more fully test it, since you can run it on the water. When the machine isn't running, you won't know for sure if there is only one problem, or several.

Well I'm not worried about the Kawi. Its not worth being fixed.

The crank I found is a rebuilt crank with a 1 year money back guarantee. The crank he is wanting to put in it is out of a jet ski that is sitting around his shop. I'm just a little leary of the parts being used and him charging that much.

I didn't buy them as an inexpensive way to get on the water. I just ran across a good deal on the Polaris and it is my fault it tore up. The engine was brand new. I took it out about 10 different weekends until the last weekend I took it out, I turned the fuel selector to "off" and filled it with fuel. Then, I fired it up and took off. It died. I tried to restart it and it wouldn't start. Then, I realized that I had the selector off. I put it back to fuel and turned it over. Once it fired, it ran for about 1 second and that was the end of it. So, like I said, it was my fault it was messed up. I'm just worried about the parts this guy is using and the cost of it.

On the brands, my parents wanted jet skis and I ran across the seadoo and kawi combo for $2000. He assured me that there was nothing wrong with the seadoo at all and he told me the Kawi needed the CDI box. The seadoo is in great condition inside and out so either way, I didn't get screwed on the deal. The seadoo alone is worth the $2k.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletProof View Post
    ...good deal on the Polaris and it is my fault it tore up. The engine was brand new.

I took it out about 10 different weekends until the last weekend I took it out, I turned the fuel selector to "off" and filled it with fuel. Then, I fired it up and took off. It died.

I tried to restart it and it wouldn't start. Then, I realized that I had the selector off. I put it back to fuel and turned it over.

Once it fired, it ran for about 1 second and that was the end of it...
    I don't see how running the carbs dry of fuel could cause piston ring damage. Especially in such a short running time.

We had been riding non stop for about 5 hours or maybe a little more. I stopped at the dock to fuel up and I fueled up and went.

Thread Information