charging battery on rxp

do you have to disconnect it from ski before hooking it up to charger thanks.

South Chicagoland
    Quote Originally Posted by soldierpage View Post
    do you have to disconnect it from ski before hooking it up to charger thanks.
    Yes, you should Disconnect the cables...

Catawba Island, Ohio
    Some do, some don't. Some remove the battery from the ski to eliminate flamable gases that wetcell batteries produce. I have run a gelcell for the last 3 years and have never needed to charge it. Always use a low amp charger (1-2 amps max) and never jump the battery from a running vehicle. It's OK to jump from a car/truck as long as the motor is off... Ron

North Jersey
    I keep it in the ski, on a trickle charge, with the hood up so any gases could escape. Never had a problem. I think they tell you not to do this because if you jump it from a running car, you could cause some damage. But assuming your talking about a trickle charger, you're good to go.

yea i was just wondering about putting a battery maintainer on it

Australia - perth
    i have been using a float charger for over 2 years on the stock battery.. still ok....

not disconnected.. i have hard wired it in with a inline fuse so i just plug it into the ski

Sunrise, Fl
    Wow. (@ King of Fun) "never needed 2 charge it??" sounds like it charging while u run it, like an alternator does a car battery. I thought this wasn't the case with pwc batteries?

I'm paranoid (after battery dying on me in the water 1 day) and I charge overnight the day before I ride. Is this bad? overcharging perhaps? I just don't wanna be on the water, shut the engine off to take a dive or fish, get back on and the thing be dead again.

I also use a Baterry care with low amp charger (1-2 amps max), mine have a Maintenance mode so I could leave it on, I do not disconnect it, and always put it on the day before riding to make sure is juice up. No problems so far. I usually exchange the tender with my car, to keep them charge.

Some tenders now, have fault check, Charging mode and Maintenance. Found mine in KMrt for $20 on sale. They also have the Expensive one now for $46 and $70...

Thread Information