Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Loss of Freedoms in Louisiana

Posted below is a regulation by the LA wild Life & Fisheries Commission relative to the banning of jet skis on all of LA Wild Life Management Areas and Refuges. Hopefully with enough help from AWA and Greenhulk we can reverse this ruling.
    Airboats, aircraft, personal water craft, "mud crawling vessels" (commonly referred to as crawfish combines which use paddle wheels for locomotion) and hover craft are prohibited on all WMAs and Refuges. Personal water craft are defined as a vessel which uses an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of propulsion and is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing or kneeling on the vessel rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel. Personal water craft allowed on designated areas of Alexander State Forest WMA.

What a bunch of crap! I can see trying to eliminate 2-strokes for emissions reasons, but I'm sure mud crawling vehicles do more damage to the environment than 100 4-stroke skis do... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonass View Post
    Posted below is a regulation by the LA wild Life & Fisheries Commission relative to the banning of jet skis on all of LA Wild Life Management Areas and Refuges. Hopefully with enough help from AWA and Greenhulk we can reverse this ruling.
    Airboats, aircraft, personal water craft, "mud crawling vessels" (commonly referred to as crawfish combines which use paddle wheels for locomotion) and hover craft are prohibited on all WMAs and Refuges. Personal water craft are defined as a vessel which uses an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of propulsion and is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing or kneeling on the vessel rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel. Personal water craft allowed on designated areas of Alexander State Forest WMA.
    C-Ass, do you know when this ruling went into effect? I am not familiar w/it at all until your posting on this site.

+1
    Subscribing

I believe this regulation went into effect on 2/08. Although an Agent told me it has been in effect for a long time. It is under title 76 in the LA WL&F web site.
    Thus far I have sent notice to the AMA and setting up a meeting with our local State Rep and Senator. It would be best for all interested LA members to begin a campaign to bring this issue to their local Politicans.
    With some effort we can de-regulate our own management areas and enjoy the beautiful senery and waters within these boundaries which are being denied for what reason?????
    Last edited by Coonass; 03-31-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: need to add some verbage

+1
    I believe this regulation went into effect on 2/08. Although an Agent told me it has been in effect for a long time. It is under title 76 in the LA WL&F web site.
    Thus far I have sent notice to the AMA and setting up a meeting with our local State Rep and Senator. It would be best for all interested LA members to begin a campaign to bring this issue to their local Politicans.
    With some effort we can de-regulate our own management areas and enjoy the beautiful senery and waters within these boundaries which are being denied for what reason?????
    I'm not sure if you meant February 8, 2009 or February of '08, but this link shows news releases for February 2008. Nothing mentioned regarding this subject. Maybe laws passed early and took effect February 2008, and no news release.

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/news/?my=22008

I'll keep digging and make a couple phone calls. --J

EDIT: As I understand it, The Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries recently opened their own training academy. I say recently recently but it may have been the last couple years. Anyway, I made a phone call and should be in touch with one of the instructors from their training academy. I will also have my contact diggin through the most recent West's Law Louisiana Criminal Code. I will update my findings. --J

JP,
    Thanks for your research.
    Scroll way down this link to see the part about jet skis.
    Keep us posted and I'll do the same.
    DG

url: http://www.wlf.state.la.us/pdfs/hunt...A_NOI_0209.pdf

+1
    Page 54 for those still looking.

+1
    Were you pulled over while riding? It looks like the Maurepas Swamp borders the Petit Amite. I wonder if it borders the Petit Amite, takes half the river as its border or includes the whole width of the river. My point...I wonder if a PWC can ride on the far side of the river and be out of the WMA. I am thinking that the river is NOT included in the WMA, but the river is the border. I think their intent was to limit access in the WMA, not the Petit Amite as its border. But who am I?

JP,
    It is my understanding that bordering rivers are legal.
    The rivers that run thru the WMA's are illegal to run ( according to the WL&F ).
    I always thought that federal navigable waters were legal. Guess I was wrong.
    I was not pulled over. I ran into an agent at lunch and asked him about airboats running the rivers. He said no way. Then e-mailed the WL&F about airboats and jet skis and their responce was negative on both and they directed me to title 76.
    DG

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information