+1

How many straps needed to tow safetly?

I just purchased a 2008 RXT 215 and was driving home from the dealership last night. I went over a decent sized bump and I noticed the ski rock back and forth a bit on the trailer. The trailer is a brand new single place Triton. The winch was tight, and there was a second strap on the back of the ski going from the tow hook striaght back and down to the trailer. My question is, is this enough? Should I have additional straps to secure the ski? Is a bit of rocking normal? The winch and the back strap were both pretty tight. It just made me nervous to see it bounce a bit on the bunks.

Thanks,

Kevin

As long as the front winch is tight and you have a tiedown strap on the back you are fine.
    You could also run two straps in the back like I do.

If you run 2 straps from the tow hook, or I don't know if the RXTX has them like the RXT but there actually are 2 tie down hooks underneath the rub rail on the back. Run one from each of these to each corner of the trailer and you will prevent all movement of the ski while towing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I just purchased a 2008 RXT 215 and was driving home from the dealership last night. I went over a decent sized bump and I noticed the ski rock back and forth a bit on the trailer. The trailer is a brand new single place Triton...
    You might want to check how far apart the bunks are spaced.

You want them as far apart as possible, while still supporting the hull properly.

If the bunks are close together, the PWC will tend to bobble from side to side, even with tight straps.

+1
    I little movement is ok. Do what the above posts said. Also, I have an additional strap going from the bow hook to the trailer arm. This is more of a safety thing anything. If for some reason the winch fails, that strap should hold the ski. I like to have a backup.

+1
    I have a strap that fastens to the ski hook with a "special" hook, sort of an s-shaped locking thingamabob. It then hooks on to each of the eyes on the trailer frame. This holds it down quite well. Only issue I've run into with this setup is the original length of the strap was too long- -the ratchet sat on the real run rail.

I shortened the shorter lentgh of strap. The ratchet now sits below the rail when tight.

Having to keep up with two seperate straps, connected to the U bolts seemed like too much trouble.

Thread Information