Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 gtx limited just died

I was going to ride my 99 gtx limited with 951 engine today I started it and was idleing for a few seconds and when I throttled up it just died like if I pulled the key I went to restart it and had nothing no beeps but it has always been a little funny about the beeps but it always started I hit the start button and nothing like no key was in it .I jumped the silonoid and it turns over but dont start I checked all the fuses in the front mpem and in the rear electric box all are good I all ready tried a new dess post from a 98 xp and it didnt work I also tried to use a pair of jumper cables and grounded one to the battery and the other end to the motor thinking it was a ground but still nothing is there anything eles I can check before I set it on fire o yeah I also have chaned the mpem when I first got the ski because it would start sometimes and sometimes it wouldnt but it never blew the 5 amp fuse in the mpem

+1
    Do the gauges light up when the key is installed? My 99 GTXLTD rarely beeps when key is put on it. Do you have power to gauges?

+1
    those 951 motors/ skis they were put in are the worst skis made... but the best when they run!! IMO

no the gauges has never worked since I had the ski thats why I changed the mpem the first time but they still never worked

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    just not your luck lately huh buddy? the XP now this?

your right when they run which is rarely

+1
    save yourself some time and money... burn it

now you see why im so fustrated

yeah at least the xp is running good for now (lol)

+1
    The second generation 951 GTXL/GTX is a fine boat (one of SeaDoo's best, IMO).

Most of the problems you see on these boats are maintenance realted, not inherent.

That said, the ground trick was a good idea but you had to get the clamp through the paint for it to have helped.

Though from your description I would think you have a problem in the harness itself, you need to remove, check and clean all the grounds then go from there.

The main ground is right under the starter/carbs. Getting to that can be a PITA.

The other grounds, which may be your problem are on an ear off the mag cover just in front of the starter. Make sure the ring connectors are clean and the ear surface is clean and free of paint. Take each wire and tug on it from the electrical box (my '99 XPL has three wires there but the '00 RX and '02 GTX only have one). You may need to get it/them out of the harness to check them.

Wires can rot inside the covering. They will be soft, stretchy where this has happened. Salt water makes is worse, but fresh water machines will see this too.

Now, the beepers go bad, the MF guages go bad, and the speedo sensors and speedos go bad.

The chances of having all these problems at once are not as great as a single failure of any of them. That tends to indicate a point source failure. In this case, the harness. The MPEM can also do this, but since you changed it (and we will discount the chance of having two MPEMs with the same problem) that should be a later concern.

I would check for power/continuity to the guage supply wires, as well as the beeper (the one on my XPL beeps when it feels like it, but I can hear it click always) and the Dess post.

Do you know if this machine has ever been jump started from a car or booster box?

As with any electrical problem, you have to approach it systematicaly. Find each symptom and trace it back to its source. It can be a slow, frustrating process.

Good luck.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information