Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help 95 raider 1100 is backfiring

I have a raider 1100 it ran good for about ten minutes in the water then it started dieing and I had to feather the throttle just to get back to shore I put it on the trailer and reved it and at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it is backfiring not bad but wont let me hold the throttle its like breaking up and popping through the exhaust .this was the first time riding the ski I just had the carbs rebuilt by a factory tech and all the lines blown out because the ski sat for years .what can I look at to try to solve this problem p.s the ski looks to be a fresh water ski since there is no corrosion on the motor at all
    thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by XP537 View Post
    I have a raider 1100 it ran good for about ten minutes in the water then it started dieing and I had to feather the throttle just to get back to shore I put it on the trailer and reved it and at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it is backfiring not bad but wont let me hold the throttle its like breaking up and popping through the exhaust .this was the first time riding the ski I just had the carbs rebuilt by a factory tech and all the lines blown out because the ski sat for years .what can I look at to try to solve this problem p.s the ski looks to be a fresh water ski since there is no corrosion on the motor at all
    thanks for any help
    Typically sounds like reeds,but on the Raiders the red wired fuse holder that plugs into the E box is almost allways a source of problems.Check all those connections,new fuse & also all grounds.Check the plugs also,once fouled thier history.Hope this helps!

+1
    Reeds could be shot also....is it poping through the carbs...?

I checked the fuse and its good and also grounded a wire from the battery to a bolt on the exhaust still no change I also checked the water box and the first one is very hot but the second one is not hot at all should it be so hot ?could it be clogged and causing a blockage ? kind of like a clogged cat on a car ? I have not checked the reeds yet but I think that is next

Check reeds first and since the carbs are off now is the time to go thru them if you haven't lately

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Check reeds first and since the carbs are off now is the time to go thru them if you haven't lately
    +1

no its not popping through the carbs only the .when I hold it about 3/4 throttle for a few seconds .does it still sound like reeds ? just want to know before I pull the carbs .the carbs were just done so I should be good there
    thanks again

+1
    Also make sure your rear crank seal is not pushed out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Also make sure your rear crank seal is not pushed out.

Well I just finished checking the reeds and they all looked good I could not see light through any of them . I also looked at the crank seal and it looks good .I did find one problem on the fuel pick up that goes into the tank the rubber boot that goes around the top of the tank is cracked will that cause this problem ?I siliconed the hole closed so im waiting for it to dry to see if that fixes my problem I also open the carb again and 2 of the little filters had some dirt in them but not completly clogged .how hot should the water boxes be one is real hot and the other is cool is this normal this is with no water going to it just for a few seconds or so anything else I can check
    thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information