Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Noobie Flushing RXT 215 Question

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that gave me a reply to my question regarding break-in. The advice was a huge help and I greatly appreciate it.

Anyhow, I got out for the first time today and I'm in love with this thing. Had a lot of fun during the 1st hour of break-in, attempting to run through the RPMs as suggested. Unfortunately the weather turned on me and Tampa Bay became quite choppy, so I was having a hard time holding on and running through the RPMs smoothly. I've got about 45 minutes on the ski, and will continue the break-in when the ocean settles down.

Now to my current question. I attempted to run through the post-operation maintenance procedures exactly as the manual specifies. But, when I ran the flush, the sound was very different from when I had the ski in the water. There was a very distinct metallic clanking kind of sound. The sound was VERY similar to the sound made in this guy's Youtube video: [/URL]

Is this sound normal?!? Unlike the guy in the video, I had a hose hooked up to mine with the proper connector. I hooked up the hose, started the engine and immediately turned on the water, exactly like it said to in the manual. I applied a tiny bit of throttle which made the metallic noise clank faster, at which point I freaked out, shut the water off, and then shut off the engine. I looked all over my trailer to see if something was loose and vibrating...It's possible, but I didn't see anything right away. There was water coming out of the exhaust while the engine was on, but it was sort of just dripping out (then again, I was only at idle). I only flushed for about 8 seconds because I was so concerned with the sound, I probably need to redo it once I figure this out. If this is not a normal sound, any ideas of what I might have done wrong? And should I be taking it back to the dealer to get serviced?

Any information is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

+1
    Kevin, I believe that noise is normal, my ski does the same thing. I'm not sure what that noise it, but i don't believe it's anything to be alarmed about.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone that gave me a reply to my question regarding break-in. The advice was a huge help and I greatly appreciate it.

Anyhow, I got out for the first time today and I'm in love with this thing. Had a lot of fun during the 1st hour of break-in, attempting to run through the RPMs as suggested. Unfortunately the weather turned on me and Tampa Bay became quite choppy, so I was having a hard time holding on and running through the RPMs smoothly. I've got about 45 minutes on the ski, and will continue the break-in when the ocean settles down.

Now to my current question. I attempted to run through the post-operation maintenance procedures exactly as the manual specifies. But, when I ran the flush, the sound was very different from when I had the ski in the water. There was a very distinct metallic clanking kind of sound. The sound was VERY similar to the sound made in this guy's Youtube video: [/url]

Is this sound normal?!? Unlike the guy in the video, I had a hose hooked up to mine with the proper connector. I hooked up the hose, started the engine and immediately turned on the water, exactly like it said to in the manual. I applied a tiny bit of throttle which made the metallic noise clank faster, at which point I freaked out, shut the water off, and then shut off the engine. I looked all over my trailer to see if something was loose and vibrating...It's possible, but I didn't see anything right away. There was water coming out of the exhaust while the engine was on, but it was sort of just dripping out (then again, I was only at idle). I only flushed for about 8 seconds because I was so concerned with the sound, I probably need to redo it once I figure this out. If this is not a normal sound, any ideas of what I might have done wrong? And should I be taking it back to the dealer to get serviced?

Any information is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

All 3 of mine sound the same out of the water. This is normal.
    Bring your ski down to Ft Myers and let's ride April 17,18,19.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    All 3 of mine sound the same out of the water. This is normal.
    Bring your ski down to Ft Myers and let's ride April 17,18,19.
    I believe, if you had someone rev. it while flushing AND you were standing near the rear of the vessel, you would discover the meatllic clanking noise is coming from the nozzle area. It's where the metal rods are connected to the nozzle, which move as you steer. They're just rattling around as you rev the motor. And their not loose, it's just the nature of the connections. Mine have been making that gawd-awful "I've thrown a rod" sound since the day I've had em. During an oil change at the dealer, I watched the mechanic going thru the motions and making the same noises. Your good... now go have some fun.

+1
    This is the sound of the rear drive shaft metal splines contacting with the impeller splines. While it exists on nearly every seadoo I have owned, it is louder on some than others. It is normal.

Normal. You are fine.

Just make sure:

Engine on -> water on -> water off -> engine off

+1
    Hahaha! I had the same concerns when I first ran mine. If you rack the throttle on the hose, it will go away momentarily until the engine settles into an idle again. It's normal but aggravating. Have fun with your ski.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Normal. You are fine.

Just make sure:

perfectly normal i don't know of a single watercraft regardless of manufacture that doesn't make that noise

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Normal. You are fine.

Just make sure:

Kevin:

Keith is giving you good advice here, just be careful with that hose you can damage your engine if proper procedure is not followed.

i messed up on the procedure..........what do i do??? (i know how could he do that..........) i shut off water before i killed the engine...........did i just kill my engine literally./...????? i havent started the ski up. the hose was on the jetski while it was off for about 10 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information